Opec is at it again.

coopy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Saw on the news today where Opec is wanting to cut oil production so they can raise gas prices again. What do they think helped contribute to the economical mess to begin with. When oil went up so did everything else. GREED that is what it is all about. They made Billions not Millions.
Sorry for spouting off but why do they have to be so greedy. Cause they can?:rant

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
hey coopy haven't seen ya around...glad you are posting.

Yup, I agree, greed and yup, cause they can!

Gas got to 2.83 here and I was thrilled for a minute, cause I know it wasn't staying that low..LOL

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Is there no end to corporate greed? Would there be any other reasons for them to do this? I don't know anything about OPEC...

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Gas has been $2.69 here, and I thought it was terrible that we thought that was cheap!!!

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Our gas is at least a dollar more than anything mentioned above- we have to contend with a local monopoly too which raises prices more than almost anywhere else in the US.

I agree that OPEC wants the prices as high as the market can bare- I would not be surprised to find that Saudi money initiated the original run up of prices and then the sell off when it appeared that this caused much more dire effects than they intended.

But in truth, we have put ourselves in the position of needing a product we do not make ourselves - we do not produces much of anything any more- just consume.

I really hoped that the run up in price of gas would spur development of alternatives and lead to manufacturing in the US of such products. Oh well- ever the optomist.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
One thing that the summer's increase in prices has done, is to convince me more than ever to use as little gas a possible. I don't want to send a single dime to these countries like Saudi Arabia, Iran, and Venezuela, if at all possible.

We used to fill up our car at least once per week. Now, we fill up once per month. If we run low, we stay home. Of course I'd fill up again in an emergency, but so far we haven't had to. I also have been using my electric golf cart for a lot of things that I used to burn gas to do around the property.

We have become dependent on countries that hate us. Part of the reason is that we have not allowed a new refinery to be built since the '70's. There is only so much that an existing refinery can do to increase production.

Instead of bailing out the mega-banks, Wall St. firms and other companies that have made bad decisions, I wish congress would have put that kind of money into developing alternative energy sources. But then, I've always been a silly dreamer.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
KOxxx

Dept of Energy lists who imports from the middle east and who doesn't. So to show your support buy gas from ones that don't.

Good guys with no middle east importing
Citgo
Sunoco
Conoco
Sinclair
BP/Phillips
Hess
Arco

Bad guys who import millions of barrels are
Shell
Chevron/Texaco
Exxon/Mobil
Marathon/Speedway
Amoco

Now of course you need the good guy stations in your area..LOL..but if you have them frequent them and not the others. Just shows your support!

Hope that helps ya.

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Citgo doesn't import from the Middle East, but from a place almost as bad - Hugo Chavez's Venezuela, no friend of the United States.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
true reinbeau but I quoted middle east importers......but I guess I still shouldn't have just typed "the good guys"---LOL-LOL--cause alot of import is not good! :(

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
KOxxx

Dept of Energy lists who imports from the middle east and who doesn't. So to show your support buy gas from ones that don't.

Good guys with no middle east importing
Citgo
Sunoco
Conoco
Sinclair
BP/Phillips
Hess
Arco

Bad guys who import millions of barrels are
Shell
Chevron/Texaco
Exxon/Mobil
Marathon/Speedway
Amoco

Now of course you need the good guy stations in your area..LOL..but if you have them frequent them and not the others. Just shows your support!

Hope that helps ya.
Unfortunately, what the list doesn't include is the countries that use Venezuela oil. Citgo for one, is actually owned by Hugo Chavez and Venezuela.

We are stuck with using foreign oil as our number one energy source for the foreseeable future. We need our politicians to get off their butts and do what is right for the American people.