OPEN SESAME...

dianer29

Power Conserver
Reaction score
ok, maybe I have your attention..lol. But ,it is true my Sesame Tahini is opened in refrigerator waiting for a meaning in life........... I apparently purchased it within the 10 months we have lived here and used it once for some recipe that I evidentally felt was not worth repeating. It will expire soon . I searched high and low online and my files and recipes as well, to no avail . I hate for it to have to be thrown the heck out. Any SS have any ideas on what to do with it..be nice?!.....lol

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
I usually make humus or baba ganoush with seasame tahini.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Yummy on crackers like pb crackers. Use as a veggie dip, too. Add a spoonful to any sauce or top any veggie that would taste good with sesame seeds.

Give it a good sniff, first, though. That expiration date was for an unopened jar. Once you open it, it starts to go rancid....the fridge slows that process, but ten months....it should smell yummy like sesame seeds.

If it doesn't smell absolutely appealing to you, mix it with some oatmeal and give it to the chickens!

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Humus is good, you can use it in place of nutbutters in cookies. edit: (The tahini in cookies, not the humus :lol:)
What about a sesame salad dressing or veggie sauce?
Ginger Tahini salad dressing:
1/2 cup olive oil
1/2 cup tahini
1/2 cup water
2 tablespoons your favorite vingegar (ACV, Balsamic, red wine)
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons ground ginger (I cut this down to 2 teaspoons, I'm not a huge ginger fan)
1 garlic cloved, pressed or minced finely
Black pepper to taste
Mix well, chill before using
Replace ginger with additional lemon juice for Lemon Tahini or replace with mint for Mint tahini

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Yeah, I had lemon tahini sauce on veggies once. It is really good. :)

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
dianer29 said:
ok, maybe I have your attention..lol. But ,it is true my Sesame Tahini is opened in refrigerator waiting for a meaning in life........... I apparently purchased it within the 10 months we have lived here and used it once for some recipe that I evidentally felt was not worth repeating. It will expire soon . I searched high and low online and my files and recipes as well, to no avail . I hate for it to have to be thrown the heck out. Any SS have any ideas on what to do with it..be nice?!.....lol
Now I'm jealous. Tahini :love is one of my favorite foods, and it' hard to find here.
I use it for hummus, or foul madamas :drool and love it on toast- instead of butter. It's also in baba ganoush.
When I really want to be decadent - I use a little straight as a dip for toasted everything bagels. That is a crave food for me.
It's good with noodles or drizzled on Oriental food.

dianer29

Power Conserver
Reaction score
thank you all so much! Keep them coming!