Organizing Canning Lids/Caps/Rings

Leta

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We have wide mouth and regular mason jars. So we have Tattler lids and rubber rings in regular, disposable metal lids in metal (for the vac sealer), plastic storage caps in both sizes, and plastic caps for 2L mason style canisters. Plus rings. I also have cheese molds and some other caps that are primarily for homebrew stuff mixed in. It's in plastic baskets on the canning shelves right now, which are not working well. I have two big baker's racks as my canning shelves in the basement, so I have some space, but I'm stumped.

What do I use? Bags? Drawers? Please help!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I'd do drawers or small totes/bins that would slide in and out.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have the rings in 2 cloth shopping bags hanging from hooks near the canning shelves - reg. in one, large in the other. Boxes of flat lids, and the few Tattlers that I have are in a couple of baskets on a shelf - I prefer baskets over plastic. The shelves are downstairs from the kitchen, so the plastic screw on lids are in a kitchen cupboard so I don't have to run downstairs whenever I need a lid.

bambi

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I keep the rings on a cord that is like a twisty tie but much longer. The lids two tupperware containers one for the new unused and one for the used lids.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm still working on corralling all of my canning paraphernalia as well, so I'm reading along! :pop

For now:

I keep the jars in the original boxes as much as possible, though many of my jars were acquired second-hand and didn't come with boxes. Boxes of jars full of food have a "post-it" sticky label stating contents and these boxes live on my basement canning shelves alongside jars of food that don't have boxes; boxes of empty jars are on a different shelf in my hall closet.

Empty jars that don't have boxes fill almost an entire lower cabinet in my kitchen--it's about 3 feet wide with two doors, and has two levels inside. I need my hubs to move the existing shelf down a bit and add another shelf so I can have 3 levels of jars. I would love it if the shelves were more like drawers so I can pull each one out for easy access, even though the cabinet has doors. So we'll see what kind of solution he comes up with!

I keep flat lids in their original boxes and the plastic storage caps in their original boxes inside plastic bins in my jar cabinet, I keep my reusable glass Gem/Jewel lids and their rubber rings in their original boxes in plastic containers in my jar cabinet as well.

I keep rings in cloth shopping bags inside plastic bins on the top of my basement canning shelves--one for each size: regular, Gem/Jewel (a Canadian size), wide-mouth.

myzanya

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I clean and was just throwing in boxes
however then brought home some empty wine boxes...you know the thin balsa style ones..
is just the perfect size for the rings...can fit tons neatly...
though for me My rings are wide mouths...not familiar with Tattler lids

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
We dont have tatlers but our metal rings are hung in the closet by a shoe string. Then we usually just keep the extra lids in the box til the next season...

Latest posts