OT - Wordpress Blogging Themes

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've started a blog, and am not totally thrilled with the 'skin' I'm using, although I like it better than anything I've found that would be more specific to gardening and green living. I've looked at so many themes, and they all look the same to me. Any suggestions for something different, whimsical, simple, garden-y would be wonderful!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Looks great, I look forward to reading more. Is it my imagination or is that "cardoon" plant your speaking of look like an artichoke? I will need to google it.

Congrats, and keep up the great work.

gina

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Gina, they're related (cardoons and artichokes). It's cool, isn't it?

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
I have to imagine you searched and viewed the thousands of free WordPress themes and went through all the multi-frame ones available. Modifying an existing one is not that difficult but can be daunting if you try to change too much.

What don't you like? or should I say what do you want?

P.S. the only artichokes I have even seen were in cartoons as they were too funny looking to eat, the scrub has never passed my lips.

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i use WordPress's basic template, well the new basic one Twenty-Ten. i liked it because it has a wide blog window and you can customize the header image- you could put something wonderfully gardeny that was special to you. here's mine.

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
BB, I saw yours and love it. I found a theme last night, called Semiologic, it's simple and highly customizable, it's what I've got up there now. Now I need to learn how to manipulate it. I'd like to put graphics in the header, and change the color of the font - that's the first mod I need to learn. Any suggestions, XPC?

Those aren't artichokes, but they're related. I love artichokes, but they are a project to eat.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
reinbeau said:
I'd like to put graphics in the header, and change the color of the font - that's the first mod I need to learn. Any suggestions, XPC?
I am pretty certain you can change the header photo or image and also the font but it is not easily explainable as it is in the CSS file. God forbid you go with yellow letters on a green background.

If you have an image in mind I can resize it for your blog but you still need a way to get it there. Do you have an FTP client?

reinbeau

Moderator Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I'm all set, XPC. I changed the theme to the TwentyTen (thanx, BB!) and uploaded a shot of my herb garden with the pineapple highlighted by the sun - it's perfect! Now I'd like to learn a bit more about modifying themes, but I'm pleased enough just to have a custom header.

Yes, I have FTP, I've built web pages before, I just haven't messed around with Wordpress much until now. Any tips or suggestions are always appreciated :)

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i'm pretty sure you have to buy a package on WordPress to be able to make any CSS changes other than that ribbon of border color. unless you are using WordPress.org... which i know nothing about. i use WordPress.com, the free one.

Latest posts