Our dump finds

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yes we can pick at our dump. All but the house hold trash containers that get shipped off the island. We have a burn pile, metal, building and plastics, tire pile, furniture pile, brick and concrete pile and a recycling center. We also have a take it or leave it building. We love checking these piles and building everytime I drop my garbage off.

This weeks find:

Box full of boardgames
Box pull of great books I like, gardening, herbs, etc
Foodsaver containers
apple baskets
antique chest Very nice
water proof fan system for a rootceller
Box of toys like action figures for my little one or our yard sale
Micro wave box of baseball cards that I just sold to someone for 40.00
30 really nice bricks

Life of a frugal soul. :)

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Wish we could pick at our dump. :(

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Lucky you!! They just posted signs at our local dump. So no picking. Before that, they didn't say anything, but they didn't really want you doing it - liability issues, I guess.

RobinsValleyVT

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I've found some great things at our dump.

kids toys/furniture
books/ coloring books
cups/travel mugs
sections of plywood
pieces of tin roofing
insulation board
fabric
milk crates
1971 Ampeg guitar/accordian amp (for my husband)

I hate buying something new I know I can find for a quarter, or nothing, somewhere.

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Luckily my hubby is a garbage man, so although he's technically not allowed to pick, he does... he picks up commercial dumpsters.

From a home improvement dumpster we have gotten, two energy star steel doors, an interior door and a bathroom vanity...

A construction site yielded some copper wires and tons of wood for building a chicken coop.

We've also gotten a brand new stroller (still in the box and plastic), several stand up fans, an air conditioner, wooden chairs, a sewing machine, a hard drive for the computer...

Because he picks up the dumpsters and compactors behind stores, most everything is brand new :)

I LOVE it! (he's embarrased to say he's a garbage man, but I'm really proud of him... lol )

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
jealous....we can't pick from our dump....we've seen some stuff we would love to have had but they wouldn't let us get it. :(

RobinsValleyVT

Power Conserver
Reaction score
lorihadams said:
jealous....we can't pick from our dump....we've seen some stuff we would love to have had but they wouldn't let us get it. :(
I know it's probably due to legal and liability issues, but it seems so sad for good things to to to waste when someone can see a use for them. :idunno

MrBubblingbrooks

Power Conserver
Reaction score
It's time for me to go picking again! Have about used up all the building materials I've scavenged. Today I covered up a 4' by 14' walkway between two sheds for about 50 cents worth of nails and screws; the sheet metal and studs were all dump finds.