1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. 4 Thieves Vinegar - Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Our PMs, not exactly PRIVATE are they?

Discussion in 'Sufficient Self - News, Information & Feedback' started by Bettacreek, Sep 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sep 12, 2012
    Bettacreek

Bettacreek Almost Self-Reliant

I've noticed that some things in my PM box have been changed. Considering that I sell on here, some peoples' addresses and full names have been in my box and my full name and address has been in others' PM boxes, I'm a little concerned that apparently our PMs are open for other people to access. I don't feel that this is safe at all. What's up with that?! I'm actually quite a bit upset about this. We feel a sense of security in our PM box (err, well, I USED to) and assumed that it was a safe place to exchange addresses and such, considering that you have a BST section here. Why even bother with PMs anymore, might as well post our full names and addresses right here for everyone in the world to see!!!

2. Sep 12, 2012
    Damummis

Damummis Microfarmer

You too huh? My PM's have been read and changed as well. Just another reason this forum is going down the crapper.

Hey Nifty,
    Maybe you should have a disclaimer that says the P in PM does not mean PRIVATE. This is just one more reason not to come here. Please delete my account, post and everything else associated with my user name.

3. Sep 12, 2012
    Denim Deb

Denim Deb More Precious than Rubies

I haven't noticed anything, but then again, I don't have many PMs w/that type of info. If I need to exchange that kind of info, I prefer to do it by e-mail.

4. Sep 12, 2012
    Beekissed

Beekissed Mountain Sage

Found that out a looooonnnnng time ago when a rogue mod was causing trouble and mentioning things that had only been discussed via PM. Other mods denied that this would/could happen but the proof was in black and white, so I lost all faith in that claim way back then.

Nothing's private on the internet, folks, even if it bears the title of "private". It's all an illusion..... :)

5. Sep 12, 2012
    MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz Lovin' The Homestead

Another illusion, shattered.
    :barnie

6. Sep 12, 2012
    Beekissed

Beekissed Mountain Sage

I can shatter some more for ya, if you aren't shocked enough! :D I've had many illusions shattered of late and I'm still reeling from the shock of it all...but glad I know. But still wishing I didn't....but am more prepared now to see things for what they are~ instead of what I want them to be.

But these things have nothing to do with the forum... :p

7. Sep 12, 2012
    Bettacreek

Bettacreek Almost Self-Reliant

*Sigh* I just feel like I've been violated, as well as anyone who has sent me their addresses via PM here. I know I'll certainly not be doing *that* again.

8. Sep 12, 2012
    SSDreamin

SSDreamin Almost Self-Reliant

Awe Bee, I thought you were gonna enlighten us with pearls of wisdom! Now I'm curious if some of your shattered illusions are the same as some of mine?? :D

9. Sep 12, 2012
    Beekissed

Beekissed Mountain Sage

PM me and we'll discuss it in private..... ;) :D :lol:

10. Sep 12, 2012
    FarmerChick

FarmerChick Super Self-Sufficient

Betta that stinks. good heads up tho to know this.

I haven't noticed it. my pms are 'all kinda ok' haven't seen any 'changes' but then again I delete stuff fast anyway.

Don't use the pms as your address file or anything. if someone gives you private info transfer it. best you can do I guess.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.