Outdoor freeze-drying -- anyone tried this and want to report?

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
It's actually not been very cold here lately, although we just finished a few days of *killer* wind with pretty good windchills. It got me thinking though.

I know that there are traditions of drying meat or fish outdoors in very cold dry windy air. I do not think I'm up to doing meat or fish, in part because we have an awful lot of varmints around... but what about, say, apple slices (for the ones that are starting to look kinda funny and should have something done with them soon)? Or other foods?

Also, I have some (very very) vague notion I've read somewhere about people concentrating alcoholic beverages, and sugar solutions e.g. maple sap, by freezing... where the water freezes out first and the liquid that remains is more-concentrated alcohol or more-concentrated sugar solution. Anyone tried *that*?

Or any other way of making some constructive use out of winter? (Aside from turning the freezer off and just using Mother Nature's deepfreeze, LOL).

Any and all anecdotes and suggestions welcome,

Pat, bored and looking for a project, and this time of year it sure ain't going to be a solar cooker :p

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
It's actually not been very cold here lately, although we just finished a few days of *killer* wind with pretty good windchills. It got me thinking though.

I know that there are traditions of drying meat or fish outdoors in very cold dry windy air. I do not think I'm up to doing meat or fish, in part because we have an awful lot of varmints around... but what about, say, apple slices (for the ones that are starting to look kinda funny and should have something done with them soon)? Or other foods?

Also, I have some (very very) vague notion I've read somewhere about people concentrating alcoholic beverages, and sugar solutions e.g. maple sap, by freezing... where the water freezes out first and the liquid that remains is more-concentrated alcohol or more-concentrated sugar solution. Anyone tried *that*?

Or any other way of making some constructive use out of winter? (Aside from turning the freezer off and just using Mother Nature's deepfreeze, LOL).

Any and all anecdotes and suggestions welcome,

Pat, bored and looking for a project, and this time of year it sure ain't going to be a solar cooker :p
My Hubby says it's the right time to make Lagers if anybody is into home brewing.