outdoor garden shed

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
The neighbor stoped by on his way to work this morning and asked if we would want the garden shed in his yard, a large limb fell on it in one of our storms this summer and has a hole in the roof. I said heck ya!! New chicken shed! Right now they have what I call the glorifieddog house. After I get it home and fixed I can start thinking about what kind of chickens I want! (And I already have the plywood and shingles to use):thumbsup

Lesa

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Perfect! A little sweat equity and you will have a great coop! Be sure and take some before and after pics....

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
that is a big money saver!

if not in bad shape a bit of elbow grease and a few bucks gets you a great deal.

and to house chickens! oh yea...that is an SS plus!!

Edited to say---I don't have a clue about Iowa winters, but can you run power now to it for a light inside or such?
Make is all you want before the set up

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yes my husband works for the rail road... now we just need time to get it home!

I don't think I will be able to run electric to it, so I hope they will keep warm enuff. I was thinking of putting my rabbits out there with them also. A frind of mine told me it would be ok if the chickens didn't poop on the rabbits- there is a disese they can get. So I might wall off part of it with wood about 3 ft up and then chicken wire to the roof. I have an old screen door to use in it.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
the funny farm6 said:

I don't think I will be able to run electric to it, so I hope they will keep warm enuff. I was thinking of putting my rabbits out there with them also. A frind of mine told me it would be ok if the chickens didn't poop on the rabbits- there is a disese they can get. So I might wall off part of it with wood about 3 ft up and then chicken wire to the roof. I have an old screen door to use in it.
They dont need heat. My coop isnt insulated and they come out just fine.

You can keep chickens and rabbits together, what you do is hang wire cages from the ceiling for your rabbits, then the chickens eat the spilled feed and etc. Plus chickens dont get sick from rabbit poop....

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
the funny farm6 said:

They dont need heat. My coop isnt insulated and they come out just fine.

You can keep chickens and rabbits together, what you do is hang wire cages from the ceiling for your rabbits, then the chickens eat the spilled feed and etc. Plus chickens dont get sick from rabbit poop....
Totally agree. Coccidia is what affects the rabbits, and I have a few who run with my chickens. The main concern is the baby rabbits getting ill before their immune systems are up to par. I would raise them up in cages though, just for the space. The chickens love to pick through all that falls out of the cages. It's a good setup to have them together like that.

Nice avie BB!

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have a very nice system that my friend gave me this summer, 3 wire cages with trays stacked. She gave me 2 sets of these, and 3 more cages that don't have drop trays, I think I will cut up a piece that I have (it is the plastic that you use when you put in a shower, it is back with the paneling) not sure what you call it... but I thought I would cut it to size and wire the front to the bottom of the top cage and let the back of it sit on the back of the cage under it. so the droppings would roll off the back.

I hope I described this right. I normaly have to draw my hubby a pic! :)