Outdoor oven idea, need opinions.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I figured if I asked there would be no shortage of opinions around here so here goes my next idea.

You know those outdoor ovens everyone is building? The bread ovens made of clay. Do you think if I bought a premaid Chiminea(sp) made in Mexico I could adapt it. I will include a picture so you will understand. See these Chiminea things are quite cheap around here. I thought I had a wood fire on a grate, which heated it up. Then added my bread to the oven. I think I would need my husband to fabricate some type of little steel door I could plug the opening with. I am just wondering would it stay hot long enough? Maybe if I used some mason blocks or bricks around the exterior to insulate. Kinda like a box built around the oven. I guess I need to track down the thread on the oven and read a bit. I just got really excited when I found the Chinimea on craigslist.

333_fire_places.jpg
333_fireplace2.jpg

See what I mean they are like perfect little round ovens. I wonder if the chimney is too open?

Does anyone remember which thread had that oven? Let me know, thanks,

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
It seems like it would work...I remember the thread on the homemade bread oven. Are you thinking of somehow cutting the bottom off of this one and then setting it on a base that you make yourself?
If you build the base and then find out the top Chinimea does not stay hot enough then you will have the base done and just have to look for a new top!!

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
I read the title, saw TanksHill from Vista, and thought chiminea. I opened the thread and, voila, chiminea. Too much.

I don't know how well it would work for cooking bread. I don't think the thermal mass would be enough.

Get one and try it. They are inexpensive and if it doesn't work for bread you still have it for the patio.

Homesteadmom

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I don't think it would work as the people I have known who got them say if you make too hot of a fire they crack. So I don't think I would try it. They are made more for a atmosphere fire than anything else.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
clay ones can be used to cook, but honestly the kind we buy at Lowe's etc. are mainly for small backyard fireplace entertainment.

cast iron is preferred for cooking.

ANY twice wrapped foil dinner can be made in a chiminea. Simply build your fire and toss in the foil wrapped meat like pork tenderloin and some veggie combo....cook like 1 hour on one side and flip to the other side.

You can "ka-boob" meat and veggies and cook like a toasted marshmellow type situation.

You can build a fire, divide 1/2 way and then stick a small cast iron dutch oven type in there to make a stew and such.

But the local store bought kind are not as stout as true thick clay or cast iron ones.

you can take off the top and place a grill over the top...like any old open fire.

don't cook with painted ones...the paints can cause toxic fumes and such...no use to eat that...lol...at least that is what I read about the painted ones.

when they are hot since it is clay, do not throw water near it..total crack time.

hope some of that helps you...but yes good to own for an emergency situation even. A fire cooks any food when needed, so a nice little backup for "whenever"

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ok toxic fumes do not sound good. I did not think the thermal part would be that good either. I saw a bunch of pics and they dd have chimneys but they were very forward in the design. I think I will stick with my tripod and dutch oven. It works great. Thanks for all the great advice though.

dac...
I read the title, saw TanksHill from Vista, and thought chiminea. I opened the thread and, voila, chiminea. Too much.

do I bring back memories???;)

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
I lived in New Mexico where I found out about chimineas. So. Cal. is also in the southwest so it was one of things where a bunch of unrelated words rapidly turned in to something else.