Outdoor whirly clothes drying thing?

chickensducks&agoose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I need one. What is the best one that I can get? I'm hoping to find one during the first week or two of yard sales, but otherwise will buy one.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
We got an umbrella clothes line years ago from Lowes for under $20. The post was galvanized steel

It was wonderful for where we were living at the time; the HOA laws wouldn't allow anything to stand higher than the privacy fence, so it would not be a blight to the neighborhood. :rolleyes:

We looked around yard sales, but decided to buy new because they come with a cup that fits into the ground that the pole fits into. When the weather was bad (rain, tornado, hurricane) we could bring it inside for storage.

The big drawback, IMO, is they won't necessarily hold one whole load of washing at one time. I usually put shirts and dresses on hangers before putting them on the line to dry so I could hang more clothes at one time.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
You are basically limited to what you can get if yo are shooping yard sales, but IMO, it is worth it to buy a new one. You will recoup the cost quickly by saving on electricity. Whatever you do, look for a sturdy one. They are not ideal if you are prone to extreme wind.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
if you can put up a long line it is best for sheets, blankets etc (the big stuff)

I don't those types as much because the inside clothes take longer to dry sometimes and it truly doesn't hold as much as you would think....but it is better than not having a line outside.

my hardware type stores in the area carry these cheap also but get a decent one.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
It doesn't take much room before a several-parallel-lines setup (between T-shaped posts or one or both ends can be attached to something existing like house or tree) gives you as much or more laundry capacity and is EASY to make yourself for a lot cheaper.

If you want the umbrella-style, get the heaviest gauge pipe you can, there are some really flimsy ones on the market.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
It's funny that clotheslines are outlawed in some neighborhoods. My neighbors have always commented that it is relaxing or soothing to watch me hang laundry or to see it on my line.

I've used the umbrella type, a big, sturdy one and it held a lot of laundry. The one that worked the best, however, was at the last apartment we lived in. It was a homemade one made of pipes welded together T-style, with eyes on the cross pieces to string the line. Because the lines weren't so close together as they were on the umbrella one, the clothes dried faster and I could really spread out a large bedspread or couch slipcover. I could get three loads on that thing. On a breezy day, the first load was dry by the time the fourth load was done.

Of course, the umbrella took up a lot less room.

chickensducks&agoose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We can't tie to trees or anything solid, like a structure, because the birds just poop all over everything. our trees are full of birds, and birds nest all along the edges of our house, so anything tied there gets pooped on. So i think the umbrella idea is the best, but I hadn't thought about a temp. line somewhere for big stuff...

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I had one of these (similar) http://www.breezedryer.com/products/2_Pack_Indoor_Clotheslines_Hills-621-267.html for years and it worked great at the same apartment in winter. You can park this kind over a floor heating vent or in front of a wood stove, or if you have neither of those, you can use a fan on it. It holds a LOT of laundry and is more stable than many other types.

The cats do view it as a hammock when loaded, however. :rolleyes:

Now I have this one: http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/antique-vintage-wood-umbrella-clothes-74503742 I replaced all the dowels and it works great, is amazingly stable, and stores in a very small space. I plan on making a dust cover for it soon.

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We have a steel, umbrella-type one that I love! We can get about 3 loads of laundry on it. I can't remember who made it, but we bought it off of Amazon. We sprung for the stainless steel one instead of aluminum & have never regretted it. I want to say it was around $60. We just moved, and since the little cup is cemented into the ground, DH used PVC pipe that is just a bit bigger than the pipe for the new fitting. It's not as snug as the original, but it does the job.