Over testing and assessment in public school

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I know this is not homeschool but thought you all would have some input in the matter. What do you all think of the testing and assessment in public schools??? Do you all think there is to much or good for data gathering??

My child does fine in the system. She is an honor student but I feel there is to much testing and not enough educating. I'm kind of tired of it. So I pulled my child out of this weeks testing. My gut says this is the right thing to do. She will use this time to help in the lower grades. MY little girl loves doing this.

ARGH!!! CHOOSES CHOOSES!! Thank you all for reading.

newmochick

Power Conserver
Reaction score
My opinion. Having children in various states in public school - they all teach to the test. If it isn't on the test, they don't cover it. The school district needs good test scores in order to justify asking for more money and also pressure from parents who think those numbers mean something. I helped photocopy off old tests in NJ so the students could study off them! The results would only "mean" something if the test administrators arrived at the school unannounced and had the students take the test that day. You would then be measuring what is really learned vs memory retention.

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Speaking as a teacher, testing is worthless. It is what happens when politicians make decisions about education. And I'm sure the companies who create and score these tests are making out like bandits.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I agree it's a money game. DD always aces those tests though, even when being homeschooled, and we most certainly did NOT teach the tests. I wish she hadn't even been required to take them though. They were a waste of time. Good to know she did so well on them considering, but still a waste of time IMO. It's too much.

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thank you all. We have talked to the principle and have chosen to opt out of all testing. :) Now wait and see what backlash accures on us. :) Thanks again Don

MetalSmitten

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
is there a benefit to opting out of testing, aside from not having to take the tests? (ie, does she get put into different classes that don't teach to the test? or will the quality of her schooling be exactly the same, just with fewer tests?)

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I have a friend that's a teacher in this area. I think she teaches 7th grade. She says the kids in her classes (poorer area, mostly minorities) have terrible spelling and grammar. But, she cannot cover that in her class because it's not part of the test. She's been told she has more important things to worry about. So, if the kids can't spell, don't have proper grammar, are a poor minority, they already have 2 strikes against them in the job market, and the education system isn't helping them in the least. Maybe that's part of the plan.

Florezian

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I moved down to Florida, where the school system is a warped and twisted mess.

First year I moved down, I had been in the school system for maybe 3 months and I took FCATS.
They were a piece of cake, yet there were students all around me Christamas treeing it because it "didn't affect their grade".

I didnt know any better and it was easy so I just did the test. The procters were eyeing me suspiciously.

I got the highest score out of everyone in that grade. Pretty sad considering the teachers were teaching to the test, and I wasn't even there to learn it!

I do remember doing LOADS of practice tests in NY for the math tests too. So the tests definately do make a difference in teaching material.

BusyBlonde

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Our younger DD would come home from school and tell us about her 'tests'. She was in 'advanced' classes. Before the tests, the teacher would 'review' the information. Basically, she would give them the questions on the tests, and the answers. Maybe not in the same order, but the same questions. The test would be given during the same class.

Do I believe kids have a decent education now, in high school. NO. At least, not in most school districts. I have heard the same story from parents in other states, other parts of the country. We are way behind other countries. I'm scared.

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My daughter will be helpig out in the 1st and 2nd grade classes when the other kids are taking the test. My daughter LOVES doing this type of work. She understands how to help not give the answers. She has always been a roll model student for the younger kids. :) She's really excited about this too. To me this is better than her taking another assessment that does not apply to her. The test is about finding problems in kids learning. My child has no problem O and she is in the 6th grade by the way... hmmm should they have identified these problems in the lower grades. :( The test in my opinion ( I am former schoolboard member by the way) for special needs kids. The kids that really do have problems. Yes I see the benefit but the con is for those kids that don't need to take this type of test. So instead of knowing already which kids need to take this test they just have all the kids take the test. ARGH!!! To me this is dumbing down the good students and dening them a better education. :( I refuse to have my child put in this situation. So she will have some great hands on time with younger students who she loves to help. :) Better for her self-esteem in my book. God help our schools. Boy do they need it.