Palram greenhouse with blown panels...ideas?

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Worst piece of junk I ever bought...the panesl blow out constantly. It is a metal frame 6x8 that is very cute...but useless. I still have the panels but dread putting them back in to have them blown all over the neighborhood again this summer. I have thought of GLUING them in place...but the winter here would totally destroy them anyway. I am looking for another alternative to cover the frame...something cheap but that will look nice as well. Ya...shrink wrap would be a good thing...does it come in a nice looking, light filtering shade :p

I am thinking that if whatever I do does work this time I am simply going to use it as a contraption to grow vines around and just make it into a yard ornament...pretty darn expensive yard ornament however...woudl really like it to be useable!
Any ideas? Spring is just around the corner :woot

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Put wire mesh on and call it a chicken run.

Put solid sides on and call it a shed.

Put solid wood on part of it and staplegun 6+ mil plastic tightly over the rest for a sorta-greenhouse-like effect.

Put wire mesh on roof portion and call it an arbor or pergola or whatever for summertime (you could add shadecloth if you want mroe shade), with or without vines growing on it.

Or, trade it to someone else for something vaguely useful :)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Thanks Pat!

I was thinking of maybe putting a solid roof on it and maybe the North side...then I might be able to make nice looking plastic sides for the rest.

It is a shame that they are not very durable...if I lived where we get no snow I would use construction adhesive and glue the panels right to the frame...that would hold them.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Morel, with your artistic touch, I imagine you could work something really beautiful out of that! Maybe a stained glass quilt pattern to replace the panels...ever mess with stained glass art?

A strip of stained glass and an open strip to allow vines to grow up the metal framing, in an alternating pattern. Tile the floor and make it into your own little garden pergola. Reinforce the roof and cover it with some amazing tiles.

It could be like a little wild chapel in your garden...imagine the sun filtering through the colors, the sweet smell of the flowers, the cool floor on bare feet.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Morel, with your artistic touch, I imagine you could work something really beautiful out of that! Maybe a stained glass quilt pattern to replace the panels...ever mess with stained glass art?

A strip of stained glass and an open strip to allow vines to grow up the metal framing, in an alternating pattern. Tile the floor and make it into your own little garden pergola. Reinforce the roof and cover it with some amazing tiles.

It could be like a little wild chapel in your garden...imagine the sun filtering through the colors, the sweet smell of the flowers, the cool floor on bare feet.
Wow, now that is a cool idea!

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Not knowing what a Palram greenhouse was, I looked them up. They appear (at least from the photos that I found) to be very similar to the ones that Harbor Freight sells.

That being the case, here is a link to a blog where someone reinforced their HFGH to solve the blown out panel problem. Not actually know the construction of your greenhouse, it may not be exactly the same, but you may get a few ideas that will help.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I once knew a lady who was an avid quilter who commissioned a friend of mine to put down a tile floor in her kitchen in a quilt pattern. She had chosen the tiles and had him cut them in the pattern and place them....it was so pretty and innovative! Wish I had thought of it first.... :p

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I was wanting to do a "quilted" tile floor in the bathroom. Our bathroom is done in "Old style" big cast claw foot tub, and the sink is a pedastal type. The comode will hopefully soon be the old hanging tank with a pull chain. I thought the quilted tile would complete the bathroom. However...this will have to waite...new doors and windows first.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Never thought of quilted tiles! That would be so pretty in a bathroom. I don't think I would want it in the kitchen though, it would be too busy for me. I really like a very plain home...with quilts on my beds! It's a good thing I have a wonderful MIL to make quilts for my beds cause mine never stay around!
I checked into that greenhouse link...those greenhouses are different than ours. Our panels are held in with these plastic "weatherstipping' type things that warp when the panels fly off and never go back on right again.