Okiepan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So what type of Grains do you grow in your "Pancake Patch "
How to you Cut , Thresh , and Process ?

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I'm trying barley and sorghum this year because wheat seeds sold out before I ordered. I am totally clueless about processing! I bought small quantities so I plan to save seed. The seller told me to make sure that different varieties can't touch each other to avoid cross pollination. That seems easy enough. :fl

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i love buckwheat plants and flowers and also using the grain for pancakes or as groats, but i can rarely grow them because the deer will eat them unless they are inside the fence. when grown inside the fence the chipmunks, groundhogs and raccoons will find any sprouting seeds or any seeds that even haven't yet sprouted so they can eat them. there are a few places around here that plant large fields of them and they are so nice to see when they flower. the bees always love it.

it makes such a nice ground cover plant to suppress weed growth and also works well as a nursery crop for alfalfa and trefoil. hmm, i wonder how it would do as a mix with flax and diakon radishes and turnips...