Pasta, flour nutrition value?

Blaundee

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have read that flour quickly loses its nutrition value, so you should stock up on and store wheat instead of flour, then grind it into flour yourself when you're ready to use it. How long exactly does flour hold its nutrition value? Does pasta lose its nutrition value as well?

Mattemma

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have no idea but guess you could go by the expiration date on the flour bags to give an idea. I thinking you could make flour from many items. I have had chickpea flour and oat flour,both very good. I love wheat berries.Good flour,Good sprouted and cooked whole.

I hope the pasta holds it well,because I have quite a bit stocked up.
I bet there is a chart somewhere on the nutritional value of all food types.I know they did it for canned foods past the expiration dates to not only see if it was edible,but how much nutrtion it still gave a person.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I go thru about 50lb to 75lb of bread flour a year(it does vary year to year) and right now I checked the date on the oldest that i am using and we bought it Nov. 19th of 2011! haha.. I guess I have a nice stash going.. it is just as tasty as it was when we first got it. I prefer older flour for making bread with and I do freeze it when we first get it(in the big frosting buckets that I buy from local bakery empty) and then it goes into rotation.
that being said. I have no idea how the nutrition of it is.. but I have hard white and hard red wheat berries that I will grind up right before I make my breads. Or I add steelcut oats or oatmeal or even semolina(pizza crusts and foccacia) So I'm sure it boosts it nutritionally.
On pasta.. I've read that it holds its nutrition quite well. and I know that my pasta tends to get eaten before it goes icky(now whole wheat is a different matter. that does go icky and I had some go bad at about 1 year or so, it goes in the freezer after I vac-pac it)
If you are packing for prepping. you really should "store what you eat, eat what you store" as much as possible. rotating it thru and trying to keep it as fresh as possible as long as possible..
Rice stored properly is good for 20 + years.
It also depends on what you are prepping for. Me I just worry about economics and not the end of the world.. I'm set to keep us eating when others are starving. but more of that is geared to growing and foraging not just packing enuf back to feed us for 20 years.. ;)
There are many forums and blogs that really do have the stats on everything too. From the shelf life of canned goods to pasta and rice and almost everything under the sun..
I like this forum better. I want to be a "Sufficient Self" not a prepper cuz I think if we are all more self sufficient we won't need to prep as much it will be a lifestyle.
darn.. got wordy again!!! :)

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I can't keep the stuff around long enough for it to go bad. We have some sort of bread almost daily. I make a ton of biscuits, cornbread, white bread, pizza crust, etc. etc. Sorry I can't help :hu It would be interesting to know though. My 400 pounds I got a few months ago is dwindling quickly :/

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
I can't keep the stuff around long enough for it to go bad. We have some sort of bread almost daily. I make a ton of biscuits, cornbread, white bread, pizza crust, etc. etc. Sorry I can't help :hu It would be interesting to know though. My 400 pounds I got a few months ago is dwindling quickly :/
And I thought I went thru flour! lol But there are only 3 of us at home usually and my son stopped eating wheat for a bit but he is back on the I want bagels mom kick. haha.
I made potato rolls yesterday for the left over BBQ pork ribs(country style) I shredded them and sauced them up and they were great on those rolls.. and my grand daughter loves to roll them out with me(the rolls )

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Generally if you go by the "best before" dates, white flour is "good" for about 12 months and whole wheat flour is "good" for 6 months--for peak nutrition. White flour probably actually lasts forever, but the nutrient levels will degrade over time and you'll eventually be left with the makings for glue.

When they dug up the tomb of Philip of Macedonia they found wheat that had been stored for something like 2500 years that was still viable, both as seed and as food. So I'd definitely say that wheat is the way to go, as long as you have optimum storage facilities (cool and dry, air tight if long-term).

Blaundee

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Emerald said:
It also depends on what you are prepping for. Me I just worry about economics and not the end of the world.. I'm set to keep us eating when others are starving. but more of that is geared to growing and foraging not just packing enuf back to feed us for 20 years.. ;)
There are many forums and blogs that really do have the stats on everything too. From the shelf life of canned goods to pasta and rice and almost everything under the sun..
I like this forum better. I want to be a "Sufficient Self" not a prepper cuz I think if we are all more self sufficient we won't need to prep as much it will be a lifestyle.
darn.. got wordy again!!! :)
Yes, I prefer "self sufficient" over "prepper" What we're planning for is the fall of the economy, down to a barter system, but in the meantime it is nice to know what went into what you're eating, and saving money too. Plus we enjoy gardening, canning, etc.

Latest posts