Peanut oil storage

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
I made general tso chicken the other night, basically marinated breast chunks in soy sauce and battered in flour, egg, and corn starch then deep fried in a wok of peanut oil. They turned out quite tasty. Anyways I cooled and filtered the oil through a fine sieve then refrigerated, it is very clear with no bits but a little darker. How long can you store this stuff and when do you finally toss it? I only used 16 ounces on 2 pounds of chicken and reclaimed 12 ounces of it - it costs about 12 cents an oz.

Here's the video I followed to the letter to make it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zd4W_nv7mGY

Oh yeah, I made some of these too - my own secret recipe

Black Beef Burgers

1/2 onion, diced
1 pound black Angus - do not drain
12 cans beer - for the cook
2 hard rolls
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp seasoned salt
pepper to taste
bacon oil for frying

Sautee the onions till soft, about 3-5 minutes.

In a large pan fry 2 beef patties until done. Add sauted onions and the rest of the ingredients, drink twelve cans of beer until cook is soused.

After being left in pan for five hours pry the little black circles out and feed to dogs.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Love Gereral Tso chicken!! :drool Sorry I don't know a thing about peanut oil. :hu

But I think I will try your recipe for bb burgers! Although, I think I will leave out all the other ingredients 'sept the 12 pack. :D Just seems easier IMO.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
big brown horse said:
Love Gereral Tso chicken!! :drool Sorry I don't know a thing about peanut oil. :hu

But I think I will try your recipe for bb burgers! Although, I think I will leave out all the other ingredients 'sept the 12 pack. :D Just seems easier IMO.
Yes it would be much cheaper and easier to just go with the "pork chop in every bottle supper". I have been known to use the infamous ramen noodle 2am alarm clock as recently as a few weeks ago, I set a pot on the stove with a gallon of water in it to boil for a spaghetti dinner, I seemed to have whiled away my time on the computer when the smoke alarm went off - I boiled the pot dry.

I do admit in the distant past I have reduced soup to a wall paper paste but not for a few decades - until the spaghetti incident, which by the way I solved by purchasing a $1 wind-up timer and now bring that into my computer room when I cook.

I am going to fry some cod fillets in the used peanut oil and toss it in the burn barrel while awaiting any other advice or suggestions.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
Peanut oil was the first oil used as biodiesel by Russell Diesel, so you could make fuel out of it instead of tossing it. ;) Hmmm, where have I heard that name, Diesel, recently?
I don't know how long peanut oil stores.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I would keep it in the fridge for no more than 4-6 months or 7-8 uses. I have put mine into smaller use containers (quart jars) and stored in the freezer for up to a year with no ill effects. You will know when it is rancid or old, you will just have to experiment.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
sylvie said:
Peanut oil was the first oil used as biodiesel by Russell Diesel, so you could make fuel out of it instead of tossing it. ;) Hmmm, where have I heard that name, Diesel, recently?
I don't know how long peanut oil stores.
Besides the dogs I don't have a vehicle to burn it in. I am sure Diesel and Hazel would love chicken fried peanut oil drizzled on their dog food but for now mix their dry dog food with hot water and a chicken bullion cube for flavor. Gotta keep the bed warmers fueled.

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
sufficientforme said:
I would keep it in the fridge for no more than 4-6 months or 7-8 uses. I have put mine into smaller use containers (quart jars) and stored in the freezer for up to a year with no ill effects. You will know when it is rancid or old, you will just have to experiment.
Thanks for that info, longer and more uses then I thought but will play it by ear and make the final cut after seafood.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
xpc said:
big brown horse said:

Yes it would be much cheaper and easier to just go with the "pork chop in every bottle supper". I have been known to use the infamous ramen noodle 2am alarm clock as recently as a few weeks ago, I set a pot on the stove with a gallon of water in it to boil for a spaghetti dinner, I seemed to have whiled away my time on the computer when the smoke alarm went off - I boiled the pot dry.

I do admit in the distant past I have reduced soup to a wall paper paste but not for a few decades - until the spaghetti incident, which by the way I solved by purchasing a $1 wind-up timer and now bring that into my computer room when I cook.

I am going to fry some cod fillets in the used peanut oil and toss it in the burn barrel while awaiting any other advice or suggestions.
When our smoke alarm goes off while the wife is cooking, I always ask her: "Is dinner ready? "
Sure glad she has a great sense of humor! :lol: :lol:

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
SKR8PN said:
When our smoke alarm goes off while the wife is cooking, I always ask her: "Is dinner ready? "
Sure glad she has a great sense of humor!
She may be taking it in stride for the time being, but sure sounds like a backyard crematorium is in your future - and you thought you were blowing smoke now!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
xpc said:
SKR8PN said:
Sure glad she has a great sense of humor!
She may be taking it in stride for the time being, but sure sounds like a backyard crematorium is in your future - and you thought you were blowing smoke now!
:lol: You better sleep with one eye open SKR8PN!! :gig