1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Official SS Poll: What do you do to eliminate bills / cut down expenses?
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  3. Check out this member patch of earth- Featured Thread
    CLICK HERE!
    (if you are logged in, this notice can be dismissed using the "x" to the top right of the notice)

Dismiss Notice
  4. SS Picture of the Week (POW) - Submit your Pics Now !!
    Click HERE!

Dismiss Notice

Persephone months in the greenhouse

Discussion in 'Gardening On Your Homestead' started by Lazy Gardener, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Jan 12, 2019
    Lazy Gardener

Lazy Gardener Super Self-Sufficient

I found this neat article. You can enter your location, and find out how many hours of day light you will get on any day of the year. This is critical information for many gardening ventures and farming: from knowing when to plant your long day onions to knowing the optimum time to start spring chicks so they will reach sexual maturity at or before the summer solstice.

When growing crops in a green house, the dividing line is at 10 hours of day light. Prior to that day length, crops simply don't grow well. After 10 hours, they will resume growth. My green house soil is frozen, but I may sow some seed under dbl. layer of plastic now, so that when the critical date arrives, those seeds will be primed and ready to go. (for me, it's Feb 6.)

https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/usa/bangor?month=2&year=2019

sumi likes this.
  2. Jan 12, 2019
    frustratedearthmother

frustratedearthmother Sustainability Master

We're at 10 hours, 23 minutes and 49 seconds! Does that mean I can start planting? (cuz I stuck some peas in the dirt the other day..) :idunno

3. Jan 12, 2019
    Lazy Gardener

Lazy Gardener Super Self-Sufficient

IMO, if you can open the ground up, you can plant peas. I try to get them into the ground just as soon as the frost is out. BTW, I just read that our frost is usually 5 feet deep!

4. Jan 12, 2019
    frustratedearthmother

frustratedearthmother Sustainability Master

Our ground doesn't freeze - it muds! But I did put some seeds in tubs - just to see what would happen. I hope what happens is that peas grow.