perserving meat

BirchHatchery

Power Conserver
Reaction score
i been reading on perserving meat i read that if a person just burys meat in salt it will last forever but what kind of salt is best sea salt regular table salt?

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
BirchHatchery said:
i been reading on perserving meat i read that if a person just burys meat in salt it will last forever but what kind of salt is best sea salt regular table salt?

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I would say canning salt. But I think I'd rather can or freeze my meats............ :)

BirchHatchery

Power Conserver
Reaction score
im just trien to find much info as i can before the SHTF

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
Wonder how one would get or make charcoal for the ground charcoal. Would finely ground charcoal be ash? I do like the one about preserving eggs in cornmeal. Up to a year? Yikes!

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
BirchHatchery said:
I had a neighbor do that with a ham in rock salt. It didn't work.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
I would say best meat preservation in a SHTF situation would be on the bone or in the jar. No electricity, no freezer. But if we are talking about life as we know it ending, I'd say on the bone would be the best way. :)

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
BarredBuff said:
I would say best meat preservation in a SHTF situation would be on the bone or in the jar. No electricity, no freezer. But if we are talking about life as we know it ending, I'd say on the bone would be the best way. :)
Do you mean *on the hoof*, ie *alive*, or do you have another way of preserving meat? I would think that *on the hoof* might actually not be such a good idea, depending on where one is located. I can imagine *zombies* finding a way to do their own butchering once they hear the moos or baas. Rabbits are quiet though, so maybe *on the paw* would work. My loud hens, and louder rooster though would very quickly be history :lol: IF they could be caught!

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
snapshot said:
Wonder how one would get or make charcoal for the ground charcoal. Would finely ground charcoal be ash? I do like the one about preserving eggs in cornmeal. Up to a year? Yikes!
Nope. Charcoal is what you get when you smoother coals. One method is throwing dirt on them. There are more efficient methods... Search the interwebs for more information. Youtube has some good videos, too.