Physical Education & Home Schooling

Woodland Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
There are many things you can do for physical education.
If your child is interested in football, baseball, hockey, etc, you can have them join a team.
Girls may be more interested in gymnastics and dance.
Our local YMCA offers homeschool gym classes which is more like you would find in public school.
Some children like Tae Quan Do. sp?
If you are more budget minded there are other things you can do.
AWANA programs or others at churches have game time.
Weekly or occasional rollerskating or ice skating.
Sometimes we make obstacle courses in our yard.
Basketball at the park if you don't have a hoop.
Running around the yard, house, barn, block, treadmill, etc.
The important thing is to get your childs blood flowing. They will actually think better for school.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Cut off the television and kick them outside till dark. :D

I'm goin' old school..... :lol:

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Chores! Before school I had to bring wood up from the cellar so mom wouldn't have to, feed the barn animals and clean stalls, haul water and hay, etc. Seven days a week, repeat after school.

We did lots of fun stuff too, played with friends, rode bikes and the pony, hiked, swam, picked apples with the family, etc.

TV was very limited and only in the evenings when everything was done.

mrbstephens

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
This is something I've been trying to figure out right now for my 7 year old son too. Most programs just don't work out for us for one reason or other. Either my son doesn't like it, or it's too expensive. Right now, my husband has been going on bike rides with my son when he gets home from work. My son LOVES to ride his BMX bike FAST! I just discovered a BMX track about a half hour away from us. Membership is affordable, but we don't have health insurance which is something we'll have to get if he'll be doing this!

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
A combo of what Free and Lori said.
Mine do morning feedings & watering of the chickens & rabbits, help with evening rounds, plus they vacuum, wash dishes, clean mirrors & bathtubs.
Last night we had company until later than normal and all the kids (5 between us) were outside until just before bedtime. They slept soooo good last night.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
greenie said:
What is everyone doing for physical education?
Phy Ed isn't just about moving your body. It's about learning healthy habits and routines and learning HOW it is important. To me it's synonymous with a health class. The other part is team play. Perhaps there is a "Little League" or other organized group sport around? Other skills to consider are being a good loser/winner. This can be learned from any other game though.

So chores, talking about what muscles groups you're using during different chores, talking abou the affect doing chores will have on their bodies, talking about heart rate when they're tired. The chores are awesome activity, but don't forget to insert the learning part. Doing chores with them (or supervising) while chatting about it is good. You can teach them a stretching routine before chores as well. They're not very helpful around the yard if they're sore or injured!

Anyways , the state college here has a kinesiology program and the students teach phy ed classes for homeschool students. I think it is $10 per semester!

Pretty neat. It's not well advertised - I was so surprised to find it!

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
Last year we did Soccer on Friday nights. Free at the park. And Tae Kwon Do... $3 each at the local fitness center. Soccer has not fit into our schedule for this year and I am still debating on TKD. The kids just do not want to practice at home and I am sicking of nagging them to do it so they are not progressing and I am sick of spending $$ for them to just go there and not have any commitment or passion for it.
We have gone camping a couple times this month and the kids rode their bikes EVERYWHERE ALL DAY LONG!!
Having 6 kids gives them someone to play with all the time. I also restrict TV time so that makes that go outside.
Chores and animals are a given at our house.
We take walks and bike rides up and down or ride also.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I agree with all the ideas, but I think of phy-ed as also teaching skills that may not be learned through chores.

Like: Balancing, catching, throwing, running, etc.