Pickled Pepps. whats the difference?

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I got two different *recipes* when i asked for help....one with sugar and one without.

Can some one advise me which way to go? I am wondering if the sugared recipe leave you with more of a bread & butter flavor (we don't care for) and perhaps the other with just vinegar and water would be what I am looking for.

Can anyone describe the difference?

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Honestly the amount of sugar I add doesn't taste sweet to me -- it may be less than I had stated, I really just do it by taste.

Why not just do it to your own taste. You don't have to actually boil the vinegar to get the sugar to dissolve - just heating it a bit should work - then take a tablespoonful and blow on it and taste and see whatcha think.

And/or you could always do two test jars (just a half-pint or even one of the little half-cup jars if you have 'em) -- one with, one without. The pickles won't be fully 'mature' for a few wks after canning but I really think if you cracked 'em open after just afew days you could get a good enough idea to know which you prefer.

Good luck and have fun,

Pat

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Awesome thanks Pat...I guess because I am so new to canning I forget to just be fluid and have fun with it....the tasting part I seem to forget! :rolleyes: