Pics of wind turbines jsut down the road from me...

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
My DH has an ultralight, and here are some aerial pics he took of some of the turbines.
that is lake Erie in the background
72_img_2190.jpg

these are just going up.
72_img_2196.jpg

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
Wow, those are amzing thanks for sharing. We have 2 in our town but they don't look much like that.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
When you stand at the base of one and look up...man, are they big! And the blades make this incredible "whooshing" sound that is kinda cool. In the moonlight they are very ghostly and a little creepy, like some giant standing out there.

They are trying to fight them here and over the border, into Virginia. Personally, I like the idea of the solar farms out in the deserts of Nevada. I read somewhere that they could provide the whole nation's power needs but do not generate enough money in the pockets of speculators. Seems the panels aren't hard to manufacture, not too difficult to install and rarely malfunction. Whereas the windtowers are quite the money maker for manufacturers (for building, design, repair), construction companies and the landowners who lease their land to them.

ticks

Hunting Crazy
Reaction score
Colored Egg Farmer said:
I hope you mean the wind turbines :lol:

I forgot I saw wind turbines once on top of one of the hills near the city.
Yes CEF go read your dictonary. :p

coopy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I wouldn't mind if it whooshed if they wanted to put them in here. Maybe it would pay my utilities or even pay me. I saw on a show where there was a farmer that was letting people put them on his land and they was paying him. Now I could go for that. I remember it was on Plant green.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Yep, that's what folks are doing around here. Their neighbors are not enchanted with the idea, though. They just built a $500,000 home and they don't like a monster whirly-gig standing beside their yard or, they just turned their farm into a B&B/working farm retreat and the view is spoiled by said whirly-gig or, their property values just went down when someone put a whole row of windmills across the scenic mountain/valley view above/below them. Also a lot of folks concerned about the impact on the local bird and bat life. You name it, they are using it to fight them with it!
Personally, if its a choice between whirly-gigs or coal mining, I'll pick the WG any day!

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I'm not sure of the exact details, but the land is rented from the farmers for a very long term lease (35 yrs), and they are paid over 10k per year. the farmers are still allowed to farm the land around the turbines, and the power company pays any increases in taxes the property might incur.

the wind turbine project "here" was very widely accepted, but an hour west of us, where we used to live--they are fighting them tooth and nail. There concern being the bird migration. Studies have been done, its all good.

Our property values have NOT gone down, i peronally don't think they are an eyesore, and I think they will do more good than harm.

The saying around here is--if a bird hits one of these turbines, it was gonna die soon anyways.
Theclosest turbines are two concessions over, and are not operational yet. the start date is september, so we'll see.... i don't think we will hear anything, but I will go see them when they start. When we drive down the road to our house, it looks really futuristic. I personally like them.