Pictures of your fencing -- I would love to see them!

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I need ideas for the low garden fencing for the front yard. I saw a picture somewhere but I can't remember where I saw it! It was like a mortise and tenon style fence but out of downed tree limbs, etc.

So!... WHAT does YOUR garden fencing look like? Post all the photos you have!

I'm planning ahead, the first hint of spring and it's getting done! ... We're taking down our temp round-pen and replacing it with a mortise and tenon round pen because our cedar mill sells mortise and tenon rails and posts and I think they look cool LOL.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Can I caution you against using anything mortised in for horse fencing. It is fiendishly difficult to replace with satisfying strength when it breaks. And of course around horses, sometimes it does break. And then you are Stuck.

I'd love to see peoples garden fencing too - I'm probably finally going to put something around my veg garden this year. I'm thinking along the lines of 'slats liberated from pallets, nailed to 2x4s with posts at the corners, backed up by chickenwire, but would love to hear more ideas.

I have some low cedar 'snake' style fencing behind one bed, but I would not recommend it to anyone else for most purposes. It is extremely annoying to plant/weed around.

Pat

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
Can I caution you against using anything mortised in for horse fencing. It is fiendishly difficult to replace with satisfying strength when it breaks. And of course around horses, sometimes it does break. And then you are Stuck.

I'd love to see peoples garden fencing too - I'm probably finally going to put something around my veg garden this year. I'm thinking along the lines of 'slats liberated from pallets, nailed to 2x4s with posts at the corners, backed up by chickenwire, but would love to hear more ideas.

I have some low cedar 'snake' style fencing behind one bed, but I would not recommend it to anyone else for most purposes. It is extremely annoying to plant/weed around.

Pat
Yeah I had't decided yet... I was thinking in a circle it'd be a *$(#* to fit together, we might just got with how our regular horse fencing is, but obviously in round-pen form.

The one I saw in this magazine was so cool, I wish I could find the magazine but I can't remember which one it is in..

I'm certain its in one of our hobby farm magazines.

nightshade

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
for our garden fence I am thinking salvaged split rail I got from free cycle last summer and then staple either salvaged chain link I got from a fencing place for free or I might buy wielded wire the 2x4 inch stuff to the inside of the fence to keep the little critters out. I figure that the wooded split rail would look nicer then just the metal fence. I want to plant raspberries along the back side of the garden fence, so that they can climb up the fence.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have no fencing around gardens....but I don't have gardens actually. We have acres planted.

My little gardens around the barns, I don't fence those.

sorry, no pics from me.

I have pasture fencing pics if needed...LOL-LOL

herbsherbsflowers

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I'll make some and send them in the next few days. Ours is in the backyard, but I think it is really nice. A friend of mine designed and built it. It is not for horses just to keep dogs and maybe chickens in if they don't get too excited.