Pink eye?

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
When I woke up this morning, my left eye felt like it was glued shut. I figured I had gotten something in it, and overnight my eye had worked on removing it. So, I wasn't overly concerned. But, as the day went on, my eye felt worse and worse. It felt like something was still in there. I tried washing it w/a saline solution, and using the eye cup. It felt better as long as I was doing that, but that was it. Then, it started to feel and look all swollen under it. Plus, I have some yellowish discharge from it and it hurts! It's also very sensitive to the light. It wasn't until this evening that I started to wonder if maybe, just maybe I have pink eye. So, I looked up the symptoms when I got home, and it sure sounds like it. Great, just great. I went to church this morning. I went to my parents for dinner. I went to a movie at another church and now I'm thinking I just might have pink eye.

If it is pink eye, I have no idea where I could have gotten it from. But I also know that unless it's bacterial pink eye, it will have to clear up on it's own. Does anyone have any home remedies that work, or should I just call the Dr. tomorrow?

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
warm compresses help.

wash, wash, wash your hands, and then wash your hands some more.

CheerioLounge

Dessert Dreamer
Reaction score
What a drag Deb. Pinkeye sucks. I've had it and I was miserable!!

From http://www.home-remedies-for-you.com/health-tips/diet-to-cure-pink-eye.html

Effective Treatments and Diet to Cure Pink Eye

Indian gooseberry is believed to be one of the most effective natural remedies for pink eye. Squeeze out the juice of an Indian gooseberry and mix it with one tablespoon of honey. Drink this concoction at least four times in a day to attain relief at a quick pace. Green vegetables are also effective pink eye remedies.

Include green vegetables such as spinach, cabbage and peas among many others to your diet and see the difference in a matter of two days. Carrots are also highly beneficial for reducing the pinkness of the eye. Apply a few dried leaves of coriander on top of the eye for five minutes. The coriander leaves work as a coolant and relieves the infection at a much faster pace.

The water of soaked coriander seeds also imparts a cooling effect and cures pink eye. The infected eye should be rinsed several times a day with coriander water. Include vitamin A in your diet which consists of milk products, tomatoes and mangoes among many others.

Apart from the remedies, it is very important to concentrate on some preventive measures that may avoid aggravating the condition further.

Avoid watching television, reading a book or using the computer till the infection goes away. Also avoid swimming, but if you need to go, use a good pair of swimming goggles and make sure that the water does not enter the eye. The chlorine present in the water may cause severe infection. Wash your eyes with cold water every hour and dry it with a soft cloth. Consume plenty of fluids all throughout the day. Do not rub your eye as it may increase the infection. Home remedies for pink eye are the best treatment for the same.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
One of our earlier threads had stated that someone used Neosporin or Bacitracin(can't remember which) in their and their family's eyes to cure pink eye and it took care of it in a couple of days. You could try this and just see....meanwhile, of course, try not to transmit it to the other eye. :)

Denim Deb

Reaction score
I think I'm getting it in the other eye, too. As much as I hate to do it, I'm going to have to go to the Dr. I have 3 Dr.'s appointments this week-including one w/the surgeon. I need to know for sure. If I have it, I'm going to have to see if I need to reschedule appointments. I was also planning on going and getting my test done either Tuesday or Wednesday. Don't know if I'll be able to do that now. It definitely feels better w/either a warm or cool paper towel on it. And, I can just throw them away. Normally, I don't like to use them, but I'm thinking it might be better for this. :/

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Heat a wet wash rag. Hold to the infected until it chills then re heat. It can be done with a potato too......Hope you feel better DD!

Denim Deb

Reaction score
Thanks. It's horrible. I woke up in the middle of the night w/BOTH eyes crusted over. But, only the left hurts. And, my eyes are constantly tearing. I can just barely see and am having a horrible time reading.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
When you are better, make sure you sanitize everything, including your keyboard, mouse, etc. Pink eye used to be frequent visitor here.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
This may be remarkable or not, considering how many germs there are in schools....but none of me or my 8 sibs, nor any of my 3 boys have ever had pink eye. As a nurse, I've dealt with many patients who have had pink eye but I've never gotten it. Weird.

Warm compresses, baby shampoo cleansings, antibiotic eye drops are the usual treatment given in the medical field. And, of course, washing of hands and disinfecting of surfaces that the infected has touched.

Latest posts