Plant Identification

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So after trying several plant identification apps I found on that's pretty good, called PlantNet. I like it because I can snap a picture with my phone fire up the app then load the picture and the app will identity several different ways. Now that most everything is leafed out I've been selecting identity by leaf.

I've found all kinds of cool plants growing wild about the property.

Passion fruit
Elderberry both large and dwarf
Black berries
Raspberries
Muscadine grapes

Looks like I'll be doing some tagging and moving.

Found these two this evening.
Screenshot_20210506-193822.png

Screenshot_20210506-193746.png

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We have a "ground plant" that looks like your picture of a raspberry and it is definitely NOT a raspberry. It doesn't have any fruit and is more like a "virginia creeper" or something.
Just realize that all raspberries and blackberries are Cane fruits.... Rapsberries have a cane that almost has a white tinge to it if looked at from certain angles especially young canes. They are not as stiff upright as blackberry canes.
There are "ground fruits" that I am not real familiar with. We have something that looks like a strawberry, has a small red fruit and is bitter as all get out. Don't know if it is supposed to be edible, but the one time I "tried" a little bit I said no way no how. Have never seen the box turtles eating it like they will on the "good strawberries"....

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
;) We have a lot o "wild grape" vines here. They look and spread like a traditional grape, just no real grapes! Thankfully, goats like the leaves...it controls the plant. They like blackberry leaves, too...so those get thinned out. Plenty to forage, a mess to pick. Not the fruit size of domestic types.

I do have good patches of elderberry! Also beauty berry. Used to have a persimmon tree until a farmer cut it down doing ditch banks aggressively. :idunno

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I would love to find a source of elderberry cuttings from zone 4 or colder. If any readers have such plants, please let me know. I'd be more than happy to pay shipping to get them!!! I can trade some raspberry plants: purple and yellow.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We have a "ground plant" that looks like your picture of a raspberry and it is definitely NOT a raspberry. It doesn't have any fruit and is more like a "virginia creeper" or something.
Just realize that all raspberries and blackberries are Cane fruits.... Rapsberries have a cane that almost has a white tinge to it if looked at from certain angles especially young canes. They are not as stiff upright as blackberry canes.
There are "ground fruits" that I am not real familiar with. We have something that looks like a strawberry, has a small red fruit and is bitter as all get out. Don't know if it is supposed to be edible, but the one time I "tried" a little bit I said no way no how. Have never seen the box turtles eating it like they will on the "good strawberries"....
There are sprouts after have being bush hogged last fall. They most definitely are cained.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Wife snapped this one today while she was mowing. She said run it through your app. I said I see several different plants there. She said can it identity by flower? I tried it and yep sure enough Sawtooth Blackberry.

PlantNet is most definitely a recommended app now 😃
Screenshot_20210507-165022.png

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

LilacSpring

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Wow! Neat App. Not a cell phone person though.

I would like to find a wild Elderberry plant to grow in zone 7A