Planting squash on a trellis

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Not sure if I did it right or not. Open to any tips

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Video won’t play for me, on satellite internet, most of the time it sucks.

I’ve planted squash on a trellis before. It worked until the squash got too big and heavy and fell off.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I see you are growing Butternut (one of the most delicious). I don't know how they do on a trellis. Tromboncino is an italian heirloom squash that WANTS to climb. Harvested when young, it's a good summer squash; left to mature, it makes an acceptable winter squash though not as sweet as some.

Last edited:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
When the squash start getting large you might need to give them some support so they don't get too heavy (like Bay's). Legs from pantyhose work great, lol! Cut the leg portion off the panty hose, slip the squash down into the leg part and use what's left-over to tie to the fence. Buy cheap pantyhose if you've got a lot to hold up!

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I was going to say, who wears pantyhose anymore? LOL

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Vid played well for me, I agree with the others that they may need support when they get larger, maybe you could use something besides panty hose though since they're kinda scarce these days. Wonder if plastic grocery bags would work well? Of course there's the clean up, but who doesn't have too many of those?

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The hose are great to powder seven dust, also. And tie tomato vines, etc.

My butternuts were huge. I had 2 varieties, apparently, as one vine gave me about 3-4 lb the other gave me ones that were easily 6# each. Otherwise, yep, they will run a trellis. Mine went over the fence & down other side, heading across that yard. Yes, I had some fruit in the hanging position & only the smaller version. They did ok but had support from a board fence that was surrounded by wire fence on it. My vines were easily 30 ft long. I got a little over 140# of squash from 3 vines. They were volunteer vines from the empty hog pen.

Not only are they tasty, mine are still good at this time... One was getting a tiny pithy in area by seed, others were not at all, when I cooked 4 last week. That skin hardens very well. Wen you pick, use clippers and leave about 3" stem. It will dry and keep fruits longer. I've got about 50# left to use.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'd be concerned with plastic bags...rot from sun scald, rain, etc.

Now, those bags the onions, etc come in -- like a plastic mesh. Maybe old nylon screening? Thrift store shop....:D

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I got plenty of old t-shirts.

That trellis is 16 foot long and 50 inches high. I planted 25 seeds. How many should I keep?