Plants sprouting but not growing much

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
So I direct seeded a few things back in late Feb. I did a bunch of root crops in the raised beds, some of then came up and even fewer are actually growing. At the same time I direct sowed cabbage, lettuce etc in the bte garden and now just a few have came up but none are growing. The only thing that looks alive are the peas.

It's been in the high 30s at night and high 60s during the day. Could it just be too cool? Or could it be a lack of nitrogen?

20chicks

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
What zone are you in? Here in zone 5 we've just begun planting in our cold frame.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Zone 7 I believe. But it may be 8

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I think it may be a bit too cold for them. Giving them a little booster feed is worth a try though.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We have a couple lettuce that have sprouted. I'm gonna give those rows a couple weeks and the rake an in and plant something else if they can't get it together. The feed store sell plants everyday

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Over the years I've grown used to seeds hanging out in the ground until they are good and ready to sprout. Weather and soil temps have a lot to do with when seeds.will sprout.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm with Creal....they will grow when it's "right". I am in similar zone to you Chic but, it's been a cold March. It's a heavy frost here this AM with 30 temps. :( Second morning of this in last 4 days. Very unusual as "normal" for here would be mid 40 nights & low 60 days. We've been well below all month, with a hint of normal here & there.

Personally, I feel the plants that grow in the cold/cool do better with a more reliably steady temp that these up & downs we have had. Just like we don't know to wear short sleeves or the heavy Carhartts when we go out. Their cells just don't acclimate that fast for good growth.

We are ALL chomping at the bit for our gardens. :caf It would be nice if this meant we would get a warm Fall to compensate for lost time....no counting on it :cool:

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Still too cold at night. Give them time. Last spring was cool and wet. My plants languished, doing nothing.