"plastic" feed bags

Gary

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I have several chicken feed bags that are made of a woven plastic like substance. Does anyone have suggestions for ways to use them. I already put a lot of our trash out in them but I'm looking for other creative ideas.

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
:frow Hi Gary, welcome to ss!

You know, I think I remember a thread on how to use plastic woven feed bags. One thing I remember is to turn them into reusable grocery bags. (Also they make great sand bags which can be handy in case of a flood or if you want to build an interesting house etc.)

Try a quick search and you might find that thread, the person who started it was "freemotion".

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
MEN has some cool earthbag buildings and instructions on their site. I am saving mine to make a root cellar one day, in a hillside I have out back. Maybe. I think BBH posted about them one day.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!! We posted at the same time and blamed each other for the same thread!!!!! :gig

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
I made a grocery shopping bag out of a sunflower seed bag, but heck it was a pain in the rear to sew, and I won't be doing that again.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
I made several grocery/ beach bags from them- it is sort of a pain because you have to baste 2 lines where you want to cut and cut between them and then sew every seam and cut so it doesn't ravel. They unravel faster than you can sew if you cut first and sew after.

But, they hold a ton of stuff and never rip.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have been saveing mine as well. They come in handy for lots of things.

Sheeps wool, after shearing.

picking up trash in the yard.

Kindling for the woodstove.

Transfering chickens, for sale.(seems cruel, but it keeps them calm.)

I probably have 50 or so...I fold them and put them in one bag..when its full, I start another. :D

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
Not curel Justus, I've been known to transport chickens in brown paper bags. :p It is just dark enough in there to calm them for a trip in the car. (One per bag btw.)