Please tell me what I can do about Mildewy leather!

Okiemommy

Supermom
Reaction score
I have a pair of leather boots that got wet on the inside. I would like to know if anyone has any idea what I can do to get the smell out of them. They are pretty much new. They're only two years old and in great condition except for the smell on the inside. Can someone please help?

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Wipe them out with rubbing alcohol.

It might dry them out though. Anyone know?

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
It is just a smell on the inside?? Have you tried Febreeze?

Okiemommy

Supermom
Reaction score
I haven't tried alchohol, and oooooh yeaaaaah I've tried Febreze, Lysol, and the good ole sun. Going to go check out Keljonma's link.

Okiemommy

Supermom
Reaction score
Oh wow. It looks like setting them in the sun was the wrong thing to do according to the link :(

I figured the sun would "bleach" it. I forgot the the sun causes those kinds of things to grow...

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
The best thing I've found for moldy horse tack and the moldy *outside* of leather boots/shoes -- and I would betcha it will be the best thing for the inside being moldy, too -- is called "Leather Therapy Restorer and Conditioner". To see what the bottles look like, http://www.infohorse.com/moldytack.asp (this was just the first google return that had a photo -- mind that some of the bottles in the photo are other Leather THerapy brand products, you want the one specifically called "Restorer and Conditioner").

A well stocked tack shop will have it, or you can look online as there are bazillions of places that carry it.

It really does help keep the mildew from coming back. For an enclosed damp place like the inside of a boot you might possibly have to reapply again later on - just keep an eye on the situation.

Good luck,

Pat

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
OK- a very old solution for moldy leather that I have used over the years- I have no idea whether this could work or not for the inside of boots.
If they are unlined boots- I would made a dilute solution of bleach and water (pretty darn dilute,) then spray the indies of the boots and let sit for 20-30 minutes, Then wipe out with an aborbant cloth. Make a bag of plain crushed charcol and stuff it into the boot - close it up and leave it for a week or so. Repeat if needed.

I used to use a light spray with diluted bleach on really oldy saddles- too much would danage the leather- but it did work well. I have saddles that I treated 30 years ago that had so much stuff growing on them that they looked green and the stuff never came back.

BTW that was mold -not mildew but I think it would work the same.

I forgot - after the treatment I used glycerine soap to recondition the leather. I never used saddle soap at all.

Okiemommy

Supermom
Reaction score
I will try that first enjoy the ride. Thanks!!! Then if that doesn't work, I will buy the leather stuff pat suggested...or do both!!! I want to save my boots!!