plum-butter recipe

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I just made this (probably a pint and a half, or almost; refrigerated until I'm canning something else, and I'll process it then) and it is sooooo yummy I thought I'd post the recipe, if you can call it that. Actually it's really more of a process than a recipe:

1) halve/pit some small yellow plums (I assume other kinds would work as well) and run them through the blender til pureed. I used, I dunno, maybe a quart or so? of plums to make about 3/4 of a blender full of plum puree.

2) put it in your largest widest stainless-steel pot. The larger the bottom area (and the shorter the sides), the faster it cooks down.

3) set on medium heat, uncovered, and stir every 10 minutes or so. You will have to stir more often as time goes by; it's really important that none of it scorches or overcooks.

4) once it starts to get moderately thick and all the foam has gone away -- time depends on your pot, but for me it was about 1.5 hrs this time -- add sugar to taste. I believe I used somewhere around 3/4 cup, but I like *tart* spreads; you might want more. Taste!

5) then add some cinnamon (I used probably 2 tsp of ground cinnamon - this is safer than simmering a cinnamon stick in there, but you could do that if you prefer) and a few cloves (I used 3).

6) lower the heat to medium-low and finish cooking down til it is a thick spread. You can test by putting some on a spoon and letting it cool on the counter.

7) add grated nutmeg if desired, after all cooking is done. Also fish out the whole cloves (prospect with a spoon, remove with point of knife) if you are giving this as gifts and don't want 'chunky style' <g>

8) either refrigerate or freeze, or waterbath-process 10 minutes for half-pints or half-cups.

Pat

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
That recipe is a little different that our family recipe that I have already posted, Pat, but it sure sounds yummy!