1/4 c all purpose flour
1 tsp paprika or caraway seed
2 tbs butter
1 lb lean beef, cubed
1 lb lean pork, cubed
2 lbs sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
2 medium onions, sliced
12 oz kielbasa (Posish Sausage) or 6 smikie link sausages, cut in 1-inch pieces
1 can (4 oz) sliced mushrooms (Undrained)
1/2 c dry white wine
Chopped parsley
Small boiled potatoes

1. Combine flour and paprika; coat meat pieces.
2. Heat butter in a dutch oven or saucepot. Add meat and brown on all sides. Add sauerkraut, onion, sausage, mushrooms and wine; mix. Cover and cook over low heat 1 1/2 to 2 hours, or until meat is tender.
3. Remove meat and vegetables to serving platter. If desired, garnish with parsley and serve with small boiled potatoes.

You can use a combination of diced cooked meats, using beef, ham, lamb, sausage, veal, pork, venison or rabbit, wild duck, wild goose, or pheasant)
I have made it with veal, pork, venison and kielbasa. It is delicious.
It is one big reason I look to get venison every year.

Augustmomx2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Yummmm...how many people could you feed with this? It seems like a great meal to have for a group. Thanks for the recipe :thumbsup

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
The recipe says it makes 6 to 8 servings. It is a really forgiving dish, so if you don't have everything measured just so, it still comes out great.
The polish word for this stew is: "Bigos", it is supposed to be a stew that uses whatever the hunter comes home with and what is in the house.
There are other versions of this, but I wrote this one out because it was the simplest one and I've made it a few times. But I have also combined this one with another recipe I have. As I said, it is a very forgiving dish. And also very satisfying.