Pollster: Americans Are Pre-Revolutionary

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Ok, this post needs a qualifier: This is not intended to be political in any way. Regardless of our individual feelings on this matter, this information is shared for situational awareness purposes only. PLEASE do not post any political or liberal/conservative vents, and keep your posts directly related to the relative areas. We may or may not agree personally with the website on which this article was posted, but the polling source is reputable and the information should thus be considered.

Pollster: Americans Are Pre-Revolutionary

I personally know people that have been expressing the same sentiments that the pollster brought out for years, so it is no surprise to me. I truly believe that there is a great undercurrent of disgust and resentment of our DC politicians. They are tired of the ongoing corruption and nepotism. On the other extreme, I also know some that have lived on the public dole their entire lives, a few of them second and third generational. They feel they are entitled to public money, and should it be reduced or cut off, they will not be a force for good in their communities.

I am afraid that we may be in for some interesting times. May we all be prepared.

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Excellent post, Mark. Thanks.

A week or two ago I considered posting some of my observations on this topic. But I tend to make some of my posts long and I'm sure there are many here who do not read long posts. It is very hard, sometimes, to get a point across in a few words and it leads to misunderstandings and general confusion. With that in mind I will offer my opinion on kOxxx's topic.

I think the level of disgust, mistrust, and general unhappiness with our elected officials (in the USA) are higher than any time in my lifetime. I'll save the "blame game" for another discussion. When a society is taken to the brink of their ability to cope, things happen.

I'm sure many here do not remember the race riots of the '60s. I'll use the 1960s tumultuous times only as an example . . .

Some (I'm guessing about 10%) of the blacks rioted because they felt that there was no other way to express their deeply troubled feelings. They felt betrayed by their country and, after many years of these feelings, lashed out at our society. I'm not here to discuss the history of that sentiment but many felt that rioting was their last resort. When this happens all logic and reasoning goes out the window. Anger, emotions, and the need for revenge takes over.

There were many (I'm guessing 30%) blacks who rioted simply to play follow the leader and had absolutely no idea why they were rioting. They just acted on impulse. Raising hell was all the rage at that time. This group caused much more damage to property and damage to relations with the rest of society than the first group.

There was a group (I'll say the remaining 60%) of our black population chose to sit tight and worry about their "brothers" and what they were doing to societal relations. These folks were fine, upstanding, and hard working citizens and prayed for a peaceful solution to the problems.

Now here we are. It's 2011. The millions of legal American citizens (black, white, or otherwise) are at a point where desperation is setting in. Anger is definitely on the rise and, in many families, has reached the boiling point. Unemployment is not improving. Elected officials are completely out of touch with the public. Thanks to our lousy voting habits and complacency our elected officials are completely incompetent and are only in the game of politics for self-serving reasons. Now, with the present financial explosion happening, citizen's life savings are going down the tubes. This is serious. Let's multiply this by 12 (the number of other nations around the world that are also in this condition) and we have the potential for civil disobedience the likes of witch have never before been experienced.

I think we're on the eve of something bigger than any of us have ever seen.

R2D2

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I remember those riots very well Boogity.I think at some point soon, whats being seen in London and spreading to other English cities is going to play out here.You can't take what little hope people have left and expect nothing to happen.When your broke, can't find work, can't feed your family,pay your bills and all the safety nets have torn in disrepair, people get ugly.This has been coming for a long time, those not in denial know it and have known a long time.As Mark also pointed out,i know folks also on the public dole.America has millions who have no desire to work and cop a free ride, they feel its owed to them.It's all unsustainable when combined, very simply, something has to give and it will.I honestly believe, we are beyond turning this mess around, because were so divided, going in so many different directions of interest.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I was born near Milwaukee. While I don't remember the riots of the 60's, I did see the residual tensions growing up. Now you have that roving gang of thugs that attacked people coming out of the Wisconsin State Fair. About 20 years ago I witnessed people in public housing sending their kids to throw bricks at cars while they sat on the porch and laughed. The guy in a car right in front of us as we waited at a light had his back window smashed.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I don't think we are quite to the point of uprising yet. When those who are on welfare lose it, that will be the breaking point, because then they will be trying to take what others have by force out of desperation. I think that is coming because we can't keep up the pace on dishing out more and more money. I thank the Lord I live where I do, amongst family and friends, who stick together, or at least wouldn't try to kill us for a can of tomatoes. I'm just keeping my head down, and my back in good shape to work when and wherever I can and minding my own business. It's pretty bleak around here now, but I have no business with the U.S. gov't at this time. They're a trainwreck, and you don't waltz in to help the survivors until the train comes to a screeching halt. Maybe it will next election, maybe it won't. We'll see. Until then, I'm minding my own, and hoping everyone else continues to mind theirs.

I just find it amusing that we, the country with all those "horrible guns" in the hands of the people, are the ones at this point in time worthy of being voted most well behaved. Perhaps that is why we are better behaved, because we know at least the guns will give us a way to hunt for food, and protect our property, and keeps us from teetering over the edge of the cliff towards complete mental breakdown, and desperation. It may also be the perfect deterrent for folks who wish to take what is not theirs, and is keeping their stupidity at bay for a bit longer.

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm of two minds with the idea of people "rising up":

Are we talking about "generational welfare types", long-term unemployed, SSA recipients, etc. rioting because their benefits have been terminated or decreased?

Or are we talking about "tea party types" who rise up (I hesitate to use the term riot) because of big-government encroachment on their freedoms?

"This conclusion follows Caddells observation last November that a sea of anger is churning amongst Americans who want to take their country back and that the nation stood on the brink of a pre-revolutionary moment."

Just a little confused on the actual population Caddell is referring to. :/

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
i_am2bz said:
I'm of two minds with the idea of people "rising up":

Are we talking about "generational welfare types", long-term unemployed, SSA recipients, etc. rioting because their benefits have been terminated or decreased?

Or are we talking about "tea party types" who rise up (I hesitate to use the term riot) because of big-government encroachment on their freedoms?

"This conclusion follows Caddells observation last November that a sea of anger is churning amongst Americans who want to take their country back and that the nation stood on the brink of a pre-revolutionary moment."

Just a little confused on the actual population Caddell is referring to. :/
Caddell is referring to mostly average middle class and upper middle class Americans, as well as those that until the recent economic troubles had been in those categories. They are the ones paying attention, and are getting angrier about about the debt, and corruption combined with an erosion of liberty. Although the Tea Party would certainly be included, the numbers go well beyond those that associate themselves with that movement.

The "generational welfare types" have not really seen any change in their situation yet, but with our unsustainable financial situation, we will have the possibility of a reduction and/or elimination of some of their benefits. IMHO, if that happens and we start seeing the type of unrest being played out in England, I feel that the anger of the group Caddell is referring to will boil over leading even greater social unrest. At some point, a "march on Washington" is not unthinkable. YMMV

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
KOxxx- you aren't afraid to touch the third rail, are you?! :D

I have heard, more times than I'd care to admit, frightening talk from a normally docile group of people in my neck of the woods.

The mentality that 'we' have money to cover all the programs and debt because we still have paper and ink to run through the presses is just pouring gasoline on an already pretty well stoked fire for many people, while it calms the fears of others. Those firmly attached to the Government teat seem to feel relief knowing that their checks will keep coming. No-one wants to point out to them that the check won't buy anything, because panic breeds riots in desperate populations. People who grasp what the non-stop printing press means, seem to be slowly shifting from Tea Party type views (vote out incompetents, shrink the Government, etc.) to a far more frightening, revolutionary, mindset. It is a scary proposition.

I wonder if what is coming here will really resemble what is happening in Europe. Those people riot over being told they will have to pay a few hundred dollars per quarter to attend college. The article leads its reader to believe 'we' will be doing more than rioting and for more substantial reasons. That (almost inevitable conclusion) feeling I get just twists my stomach in knots.

But that's just my opinion

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The "generational welfare types" have not really seen any change in their situation yet, but with our unsustainable financial situation, we will have the possibility of a reduction and/or elimination of some of their benefits. IMHO, if that happens and we start seeing the type of unrest being played out in England...
I guess that's what I was wondering (just thinking outloud)...we may have folks rioting over decreased entitlements on the one hand, & people protesting just the opposite, the out-of-control spending on entitlement programs, on the other hand.

It's interesting, isn't it, because the riots in Greece were allegedly over welfare-state issues, the riots in London were sparked by a shooting but now has grown into actions by anarchists/leftists, the "Arab spring" riots are supposed to be anti-dictator protests... I wonder what kind of chaos we can expect to see here.... :idunno

Latest posts