Ponchatoula Louisiana Newbie

Dreaming of Chickens

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Welcome from Chalmette, LA!! Howdy neighbor! I love Ponchatoula. I'd love to move there, but it's too far for me to travel for work. One day I'll get to live in the country. One day. Glad to see you are enjoying it! :welcome

nikki4612

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. In answer to some of your questions, yes, I love Ponchatoula too. Amazing people and just a cute, cute town.

As for my definition of simplicity, it's really about collecting experiences rather than things. Yes, I still shop but mostly for food or gifts. I'm interested in food storage that's healthy so I can. I'm not interested in spending my day in a mall but I might at a farmer's market. I try to eliminate things from my life that don't give me joy. I couldn't care less what others think of me. I got over all that years ago. Now I want to spend my life seeing, learning, and cherishing those I love. I want to grow my herbs and veggies, Cook everything from whole foods, and spend time in nature.

I'm still working but hope to give that up soon and retire early. I would love to become one of those people who embraces simplicity to the point that they only have enough possessions to fill a suitcase but I'm a southern girl and that won't cut it. I also love to have people over for dinner, so I need more than just on plate, cup and fork. I will always have a lovely dining room because having my home filled with friends and family is important.

I shop locally and never buy anything made in China. I try to always spend my money with the locals because I want our town to survive. I don't step foot in big box stores and consider the new Walmart coming to Ponchatoula to be a disaster. I'd much rather an antique to something new (except technology).

I want to be a vegetarian but I'm half Cajun so I'm not ever going to be able to cut out seafood. I shop every week for most of my food at the local farmer's market and the natural foods store.

I'm not political. I frankly don't like any political party and wish that they'd all quit calling my house at dinner time.

I'm not much for joining clubs or organizations. I rather people to groups. I have a circle of friends who I love. Most don't understand this simplicity thing but they love me anyway even if they think I'm going to turn into a hippie. I have a wonderful husband who loves me no matter what and has for 30 years.

I have few rules except that I try to give away anything I don't use to someone who might. I also try to do 3 acts of kindness a day. This is hard sometimes since I don't see a lot of people at work.
I read at least 3 books a week from the library. (But I do have a Nook for those times when I run out of books).

I used to be one of those people who had $200 highlights in her hair and porcelain fingernails. No more. I'd rather have a massage than the latest style. I've reached the point where I realize that not having to carry a purse is far my luxurious than carrying a designer one. I'd rather ride a bike than a Mercedes.

Getting off the consumer train was easy for me. I don't try to convince anybody else to do it though. I think it's a bit like believing in God. You have to come there on your own.

My husband still like to buy me things sometimes. It makes him happy, so I'm not going to stop him. I appreciate the thought he puts into every gift as much as the thing itself. Mostly I want to live my life unencumbered. I want to see everywhere and experience joy for as long as I can.

The one thing that I've learned from all of this is that people matter, things do not. I spent 9 years renovating our home in New Orleans. It was lovely. In one day, Katrina took all that away. instead of crying, I discovered that I didn't really need any of that. Now I'm happier without it.

So, my defintion of simplicity is -- Be a collector of people and experiences, not things. Cultivate joy and understand that only this moment exists.

Nikki

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Bonjour, mais aimee.
I'm from Cut Off. I"m into chickens, ducks, geese, goats, bees, oranges, gardens and guineas.......and children. I don't know my LA geography too good, but I have heard the name of your town many times.
Yeah....Katrina was really mean. I was at work in Houma as a nurse. Had to put my house back straight afterwards.
Don't guess anyone would call me half Cajun, seeings as I have been here X 4 generations at my shortest and can't count at my longest. A bit of European, but do have a good bit of real exiled Cajun bloodlines. Joe Barry was my cousin and lived next door to my grandparents and I know all of Bobby Hebert's family.....great people.

stubbornhillfarm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
nikki4612 said:
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome. In answer to some of your questions, yes, I love Ponchatoula too. Amazing people and just a cute, cute town.

As for my definition of simplicity, it's really about collecting experiences rather than things. Yes, I still shop but mostly for food or gifts. I'm interested in food storage that's healthy so I can. I'm not interested in spending my day in a mall but I might at a farmer's market. I try to eliminate things from my life that don't give me joy. I couldn't care less what others think of me. I got over all that years ago. Now I want to spend my life seeing, learning, and cherishing those I love. I want to grow my herbs and veggies, Cook everything from whole foods, and spend time in nature.

I'm still working but hope to give that up soon and retire early. I would love to become one of those people who embraces simplicity to the point that they only have enough possessions to fill a suitcase but I'm a southern girl and that won't cut it. I also love to have people over for dinner, so I need more than just on plate, cup and fork. I will always have a lovely dining room because having my home filled with friends and family is important.

I shop locally and never buy anything made in China. I try to always spend my money with the locals because I want our town to survive. I don't step foot in big box stores and consider the new Walmart coming to Ponchatoula to be a disaster. I'd much rather an antique to something new (except technology).

I want to be a vegetarian but I'm half Cajun so I'm not ever going to be able to cut out seafood. I shop every week for most of my food at the local farmer's market and the natural foods store.

I'm not political. I frankly don't like any political party and wish that they'd all quit calling my house at dinner time.

I'm not much for joining clubs or organizations. I rather people to groups. I have a circle of friends who I love. Most don't understand this simplicity thing but they love me anyway even if they think I'm going to turn into a hippie. I have a wonderful husband who loves me no matter what and has for 30 years.

I have few rules except that I try to give away anything I don't use to someone who might. I also try to do 3 acts of kindness a day. This is hard sometimes since I don't see a lot of people at work.
I read at least 3 books a week from the library. (But I do have a Nook for those times when I run out of books).

I used to be one of those people who had $200 highlights in her hair and porcelain fingernails. No more. I'd rather have a massage than the latest style. I've reached the point where I realize that not having to carry a purse is far my luxurious than carrying a designer one. I'd rather ride a bike than a Mercedes.

Getting off the consumer train was easy for me. I don't try to convince anybody else to do it though. I think it's a bit like believing in God. You have to come there on your own.

My husband still like to buy me things sometimes. It makes him happy, so I'm not going to stop him. I appreciate the thought he puts into every gift as much as the thing itself. Mostly I want to live my life unencumbered. I want to see everywhere and experience joy for as long as I can.

The one thing that I've learned from all of this is that people matter, things do not. I spent 9 years renovating our home in New Orleans. It was lovely. In one day, Katrina took all that away. instead of crying, I discovered that I didn't really need any of that. Now I'm happier without it.

So, my defintion of simplicity is -- Be a collector of people and experiences, not things. Cultivate joy and understand that only this moment exists.

Nikki
Oh my goodness! I say all the time, "I want to collect memories, not things!"

Congratulations in embracing the change that was put in front of you. Revelation, clarity and understanding of who you are and why you are here is an awesome thing when it clicks. :thumbsup

Rebbetzin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
SSGreenemail.jpg