Porch daily firewood rack

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I haven't posted in quite a while... don't know if you'll remember me.

But anyhow, here's a project I did last year (and "road tested" this past winter & early spring). It's a firewood rack for our porch. The east end of the porch itself sits only about 10 yards from the big shed where we stack a winter's worth of mostly split firewood. I bring split wood & rounds over to the porch rack without too much effort.
IMG_3878.JPG

I made the rack from 2" and 1.5" square steel tubing that I welded together. We have an efficient wood-heating system, so the rack didn't need to be too awfully large. IOW, I designed the rack so about 24-hour's worth of wood could easily be stacked there, and we can easily get to our choice of the sizes of chunks we need upcoming. Also, there is room underneath for temporary placement of whatever. For instance, we usually use a spot on the porch as a second "refrigerator" in winter (note the largish pot in the pic below).
Wood Rack In-Use.JPG

I didn't take a shot of the loaded rack during the cold snaps in winter, but we had wood heaped quite a bit higher! We started a habit of stacking small pieces to the left, larger ones to the right so we could easily select what we wanted at any time.

This rack replaced one we had that was taller and narrower but, because of that, made it hard to select the size of wood we might want. Larger, heavier pieces often wound up too near the bottom, and the bottom was actually only a couple inches above porch-floor level.:barnie

Anyhow, we're pleased with this thing.

Wishing you all a good spring, good gardens, and all like that!

Attachments

• Wood Rack In-Use.JPG
    Wood Rack In-Use.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 308
Last edited:

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
Hello stranger, of course we remember you! :) That wood rack is really neat, thank you for sharing.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
hey, I remember you! I like seeing your projects! You have a different skill set than me, so seeing your projects helps me think outside my self-created box.