tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Low-carb eaters, avert your eyes! :gig

I'm beginning to appreciate a simple porridge for breakfast. I I think the secret is to use a whole grain and add fat. I like steel cut oats. I soak them in water overnight to reduce the cooking time and reduce loss of vitamins from heat. I add about 1/2 stick of butter for 1 cup dry oats. I use quite a bit of salt. Sometimes I add a little maple syrup or honey, but it doesn't need added sweetness to be palatable. It's so much better than sticky slimy oatmeal! DS6 says it tastes better than Honey Nut Cheerios. He abandoned his cereal yesterday to steal my porridge.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Way back when I was employed I would do overnight oats in a pint canning jar. I'd only make one serving in the jar but I needed room for the add-ins. Before I left for work I'd grab that jar and stir in things like yogurt and blueberries, chia seeds, or pecans and once even some mini chocolate chips and take it with me. There are tons of different ideas for stir ins. Usually I tried to keep it healthy...usually! :hide

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Way back when I was employed I would do overnight oats in a pint canning jar. I'd only make one serving in the jar but I needed room for the add-ins. Before I left for work I'd grab that jar and stir in things like yogurt and blueberries, chia seeds, or pecans and once even some mini chocolate chips and take it with me. There are tons of different ideas for stir ins. Usually I tried to keep it healthy...usually! :hide
can you use any oats for this? i have always wanted to try. I can't eat before 10 am but it would be something good to eat for brunch. or linner (lunch and dinner).

Trying2keepitReal

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Low-carb eaters, avert your eyes! :gig

I'm beginning to appreciate a simple porridge for breakfast. I I think the secret is to use a whole grain and add fat. I like steel cut oats. I soak them in water overnight to reduce the cooking time and reduce loss of vitamins from heat. I add about 1/2 stick of butter for 1 cup dry oats. I use quite a bit of salt. Sometimes I add a little maple syrup or honey, but it doesn't need added sweetness to be palatable. It's so much better than sticky slimy oatmeal! DS6 says it tastes better than Honey Nut Cheerios. He abandoned his cereal yesterday to steal my porridge.
love love love porridge! I grew up on this with butter and honey! and then once and awhile when my mom had some extra money she would buy cream of wheat, lol and put some dry chocolate powder on it.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
love love love porridge! I grew up on this with butter and honey! and then once and awhile when my mom had some extra money she would buy cream of wheat, lol and put some dry chocolate powder on it.
I hated cream of wheat. Oatmeal wasn't much better. We loaded our bowls with sugar to try to make it less slimy and more palatable. It didn't work! Adding fat is a revelation for me. I like a chunkier texture, probably because of childhood memories.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I remember a line in a story I read, when the hero was offered some porridge, and told to "Eat it quick, before it sets up!"

Seriously though, I've always liked porridge, although, as I've said elsewhere, my favorite breakfast was wheat berries with butter and salt. The crunchiness was so satisfying! Alas, I can't have that very often right now, since even with the fiber it's still too much carbs for me.