Post Rammer

Jon

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Hi,
I am also putting up a new fence and was looking for a fence post rammer with a 6 inch bore. I can't find a source in the US. Does anyone know where I can buy one of these?

Jon

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Hi and welcome! Are you looking for an auger, or a hydraulic post pounder? When you say rammer-- I think of post pounder, but when you say 6" bore, I'm thinking auger. When we put up our fence, we used the hudraulic post pounder. It was wonderful! We rented one for under $300 for the weekend, You could use it for whatever zise fence posts you were using. We had big 12" cedars for the corners, and 8" cedars for the regular posts. With augers, you have to back fill and then have to worry about the posts moving.

Jon

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
I am actually looking for a manual tubular post rammer with handles on the side. They sell them at Home Depot or Lowes for steel fencing posts, and they have a 2-3 inch bore (inner dimension of the tube). I need something larger for the posts I have cut. When I search the Web I see many sites that sell these in the UK but can't find them in the US.
Thanks,

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I cannot believe that it is possible to manually wham in a 6" wooden fence post, sorry.

Metal t-posts and sharpened 3" cedar posts, sure, or for 6" ones using a hydraulic thingie on the back of a tractor... but that's a lot different.

Good luck,

Pat

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We use a die block. With so many manufacturing companies closing/cutting back, you may be able to obtain one for slavage metal costs. They come in many sizes, so you may be able to find one that will work for you.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
When I was a teenager I built a pasture with sharpened cedar posts. I dug the holes with a big metal spike (san angelo bar) and then dad came along with a mallet and pounded them in. Then we used the flat end of the bar to really pound the dirt around the base of the posts.

My neighbor made me a t-post pounder a couple of years ago with a scrap of pipe and some other metal scraps. You could have one made for far less than the shipping, I bet. Just make sure it is reasonably heavy. I love mine, I set all my t-posts all by my onesies with my little girly arms! :D