Potatoes

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I think all veggies prefer sun, but certain crops can't handle the heat so much & can benefit from some shade during the hotter months of summer. Your cool weather crops like potatoes, lettuces, cabbage family, peas & roots grow better in the cooler spring or fall

Atleast that's the idea I go by when planting

Crusty McPottydoodle

Power Conserver
Reaction score
So does this mean I should plant them in a place where they will get sun for part of the day and shade for most - if so, what part of the day should they get the most sun?

Gosh, can ya tell this is my very first attempt at potatoes?

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
If you're experienced at gardening then I'd say taters aren't much different than anything else. They can tolerate alot of variants & I've always got alot of volunteers growing in some strange places. I have successfully planted taters throughout the growing season from spring till fall and got better growth in warmer soil of spring.
My garden is on the north side of our yard with only the surrounding neighbors trees for any shade, it gets around 10+ hours of sun during the heat of summer & I plant north/south rows. Even though I move things around every year I put my most heat loving plants to the west & have never (yet) put potatoes on the very westside, & usually keep them somewhere in the middle or to the east so that there is always something taller growing on the west of tater bed. They still get alot of sun & heat (4-7 hours), just not the full 10+

This is just my experience and others may do &/or know differently, but I hope that helps.

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I did some research on planting potatoes in barrels. It seems the people who planted late varieties (like Yukon Gold) had a good crop with this method, but those who planted early varieties didn't get much. Apparently the early varieties don't grow more spuds up the vine as you fill it in. When they harvested their early varieties, all they got was a layer of potatoes on the bottom of the barrel.