power strip savings

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
A few months ago, I bought two of these 8 plug power cords with individual switches from Amazon. They allow me to turn off some of the components of a system individually. I usually just have the cpu on in the one slot that doesn't have a switch, then the screen, printer, photo printer on individuals- I don't print out that much so just flick the switch on for those when I need it. I use it for the audio tower too along with the TV.
It costs $25 each and I was really wondering whether it was another thing that wouldn't pay for itself but my bill went down about $7 each month so I'm now celebrating the breakeven point now. The things have now paid for themselves. :weee

xpc

Doubled and twisted
Reaction score
For $25 you must of gotten the ones with the built-in surge suppressor which are always nice to have no matter what, it also makes unplugging all your electronics easy when a lightning storm approaches - even a surge suppressor will not stop the large spike a nearby lightning strike creates, it just blows out everything.

I use them on both my entertainment center and computer command center and every night turn them off, I even switch the CPU off because it can draw quite a few watts even when off, all wall transformers are also on them which can also add up.

$7 dollars a month is a lot in phantom loads what the heck are you switching? All my electronics consume about 20 watts when off but still plugged in, at 10 cent a kilowatt that comes out to $1.50 a month. Depending on what you pay for electricity that equals anywhere from 50 to 100 watts per hour 24/7.

I also turned down the brightness on my LCD television and computer screen and that saves me 70 watts for every hour its on, for 5 hours a day viewing that equals another dollar a month. It all adds up and am down to 170 kilowatts a month or $35.

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Lets see- TV (old crt),digital converter, VCR, CD player, Tuner, Amplifier. Then CPU, CRT monitor, HP Photosmart, printer.

I did not add them up - I was just going to say that the drop was without any other changes but I remember now, I put the microwave, radio and a couple of other small things on the power strips that were freed up when I started using the new strips.

Grumpy Pumpkin

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I once saw a news segmant that a standard box from the cable company if turned off (standby) by the remote, will still cost $3.50/mo. So I did a test. We took part in a pilot program measuring the electricity we use and letting the power company turn our ac thermostat up on days that normally would have a rolling blackout. It was a great program and no blackout for anyone!! Also, when they "turn it up" they can only do it during the hottest part of the day, it can only go up 4 degrees and you can always override the system, but you pay more for it. The good thing was we could see at any given moment how much power we used. It was great. It was the "flip that light off, you are wasting XXXX amount of electricity. Anyway, I tested the surround sound, tv, cable box, and so on. The news was not lying. Even after I turned everything off, my house was still running almost 1 kwh. To run the a/c in the middle of summer only uses 2 (and it is central). Anyway, the point is the surge protectors are a great idea and as easy as flipping a switch on the wall. And great thunderstorm protection as well, I bet!!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
enjoy the ride said:
A few months ago, I bought two of these 8 plug power cords with individual switches from Amazon. They allow me to turn off some of the components of a system individually. I usually just have the cpu on in the one slot that doesn't have a switch, then the screen, printer, photo printer on individuals- I don't print out that much so just flick the switch on for those when I need it. I use it for the audio tower too along with the TV.
It costs $25 each and I was really wondering whether it was another thing that wouldn't pay for itself but my bill went down about $7 each month so I'm now celebrating the breakeven point now. The things have now paid for themselves. :weee
cost $25 each
bought 2 for $50 total

save $7 per month
2 months or 3 mos.---savings $14 or $21

Are you sure you are at the breakeven point?

I don't have alot of power strips. I just unplug stuff mainly. But I do need to get out there and get my hands on some power strips and get everything situated and done.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I think I need to consider this, too. That's a fast turnaround! When I walk through the house in the dark, it is not dark. I see nightlights for the kids glowing, alarm clock lights, micro lights, etc. I really should find a way to shut all that down. I just hate to do it to the stuff that has clocks on it.

Speaking of wasting energy, the old family farm house is now empty, but the farm is still getting a $200/month electric bill. Besides a few minor things, we believe it is our 2 ancient freezers. Yikes!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
$200 a month and it is empty.
WOW---now could you imagine living there, your bill would be thru the roof on electric.

I would definitely investigate and do away with those old ancient freezers. You could save alot of money real fast. Worth the expense to me......what are you thinking of doing???

me&thegals

Reaction score
It's my husband's family's farm and their freezers, but it's mainly our chickens and corn in them. There are a couple other electricity users like the farmyard lights, occasionally lights and fans in the chicken's barn and the water heater still in the house, but still. I already combined 2 freezers into one and am working hard to condense and use things in our home freezers to move it all to our home.

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Speaking of wasting energy, the old family farm house is now empty, but the farm is still getting a $200/month electric bill. Besides a few minor things, we believe it is our 2 ancient freezers. Yikes!
Wow! :ep for my whole house, including 4 freezers, two fridges, a dusk till dawn light etc etc, --my budget for hydro is $150/month.

me&thegals

Reaction score
You know, when you put it that way, it doesn't really make sense. Those ancient freezers would have to be serious energy hogs! In the worst of summer with 2 freezers, a family of 4, fans at night, a dehumidifier and dehydrator running, we hit $100. My husband, who is in and out of the shop the freezers are in on the farm, says he almost never hears them shut off.