Preserving Meat the Old Fashioned Way

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
Pat- thank you- that first recipe sounds good for me especially but the other sound intersting too. I just don't have the ingredients- I look when I get to the store.

Wifezilla- great info too. Something that may be really useful for me.

Thanks again.

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
This is from Backcountry Cooking by Dorcas Miller.

Dorcas said:
. . . You can improvise by using almost any type of meat . . . but not pork. . . . Simmer the meat in water until it falls apart; cooking the meat helps break it into small pieces that will rehydrate easily later. Cool the meat. Remove as much as you can of the fat that has congealed on the surface of the broth and around the meat. Pull the meat apart and dry it in an oven or dehydrator. Store in a cool, dry place. (Irecommend a refrigerator or freezer because there may be a little fat remaining, and keeping the food cold will retard the process by which fat goes bad.)
Like I said. Cook it, cool it, remove the fat and shred the meat, then dry the meat.

I have seen it sold in stores in New Mexico in packages like jerky. I have made it myself and used it on back packing trips.

EverythingPrepared

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have an ebook by James Talmage Stevens called GAME MEATS, FISH, AND FOWL: How to Prepare Wild-Caught Critters in Your Own Kitchen for Emergency/Disaster Survival that I can let you have.

Please contact me if you are interested. James put a $6.95 price on it, but I will provide it at no charge.

Old Sew'n'Sew

All Strings Considered
Reaction score
Excuse me for reviving an old thread, but I am seeking information about pepperoni.

Anyone have an Italian heritage?

I know that pepperoni keeps well but does anyone know how to make it homemade?

How long can you actually keep it without refrigeration?

DH has stories and vague recollections in his family but I am seeking maybe a recipe and info on long term storage.

If the worst comes I don't want to exist on beans. Been there done that.

I want to make pizza! :lol: