Presidential Debate--who watched?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
So what did you think of the debate last night?

Ugh---they make it sound easy in a way....oh yes, lets fix this, lets fix that, do this and do that, blah, blah, blah.

I am so disillusioned that the debate meant nothing to me almost. sad isn't it.

Hearing the same things, same promises, fix fix fix and improve everything

I guess no candidate ever wants to stand up and say, I will raise taxes, I know the greed in govt. and we can't win against it, I know more business will fail and we can't truly fix that either..>LOL

I don't know.....I am getting that I don't care attitude and that is never a good thing when you have criminials at the helm...Hmmm.....

Any views on the debate?

I thought both speakers were good though....they both can definitely talk their way out of everything..HA HA

annmarie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My husband and I watched last night, and we both thought that Obama seems very much ready to lead. We realize hes not perfect, but he has ideas, which is something this country desperately needs, and is something McCain seems to lack. All we hear from McCain is that he doesnt like Obama and he wants to shake things up but he doesnt seem to have any plan on how hes going to go about doing that. Im very pleased to see that Obama has real plans, which may or may not work, but hes obviously taken the time to sit down and figure out a way to approach the 10,000 problems this country is facing. Im not convinced McCain has done that. Obama also was more convincing I thought, because he seemed more pragmatic and realistic about what to expect, while McCain repeatedly was saying itll be easy its really not that difficult it will be extremely easy which I found just ridiculous, if its so easy we wouldnt be in the situation were in. He seems to think that his years of experience in government is some kind of answer in and of itself. I also thought McCain was condescending to not only Obama (aka. that one) but the audience as well by saying things like youve probably never even heard of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac and my friends about a gazillion times. Can you tell Ive got my mind made up? ;)
(I hope this does not become a topic that needs moderating! Let's keep our moderator bored. I'm just giving my opinion. I have no desire to argue with anyone!)

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I have to agree with annmarie on this one...and I am a republican!

I went into the debate with an open mind in hopes of deciding which candidate would get my vote. I was not impressed with McCain. He seemed to gloss over everything with 'we are America, we can do it!' but really not enough substance. A can-do attitude is great but I was really hoping to hear more nuts and bolts to prove that there were not only definite plans but ones that I actually agree with....not to say that I agree with it all, but I thought Obama brought more substance to the floor.

I was really irritated with McCain's constant digs at Obama, it made him look petty and emotional. (IMHO)

attack-cat

Power Conserver
Reaction score
After they both voted for that bailout that cinched it for me. I won't vote for either one. They can wonder why they didn't get some votes and the third party candidate Baldwin did. I really wanted Ron Paul.

Politicians are so good at making promises they can't really keep. They say all this stuff they will do but when it comes down to it they have to have permission from the House and Congress to actually do it. And the mud slinging this election is just disgusting from both sides. I'm really disappointed in both parties. I would like to see new candidates from both sides. Never show what they look like and make them speak through a third party so we don't have to know what sex or race they are and just vote for them on their stands on the issues and how honest they are. :)

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Gotta agree with annmarie and dace. I tend to vote Democrat but have really given McCain a close look. Unfortunately, I think he's beginning to look desperate. I was also annoyed by "my simple plan" but no details on what that actually is. I think it's condescending to tell the American people that these complex issues can be fixed so simply. I also really like Obama's hope for vastly expanding "green" jobs in America, as it seems to answer at least 3 problems at once. I respect McCain for his long service to our country, but right now I'd like some very clear answers on how he would deal with the economy and environment.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
I should have added that an important point for me is Obama on our reliance on fossil fuel. Most Americans are a bit ignorant on this subject and I liked his pointing out that we have 3% of the world's reserves and yet we use 25% of the world supply, his motto of 'let's not just focus on off shore drilling to tap into more of a finite resource, lets focus on developing alternative energy resources.'

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I was not impressed by either of them. You can almost feel the hesitancy and lies radiating off them.
I am just going to post this and you all can yell at me about it.I have heard that we are due for an assasination. Wether true or not, thats what I hear. SO, if we are due, then lets elect Mccain, he will get assasinated and Palin will take over- sounds real good to me.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I watched. I was not impressed. But you know, watching Canadian debates has really spoiled me for the American ones. The Canadian debates (we are having an election next Tuesday!) are FAR FAR less rehearsed and fakey and canned-speech-with-rehearsed-gestures-for-the-camera. (Well ok except for Jack Layton but he probably sounds that way in real life too :p)

Another interesting aspect of the Canadian debates is that it's more than just 2 parties -- this time round, there were *5* at the table (the incumbant prime minister who is a conservative, the liberal candidate, the NDP candidate, the Bloc Quebecois candidate, and the Green Party candidate -- i.e. the candidate from every party who has at least 1 person elected as MP somewhere int he country). Having that many really changes the nature of the debate. If nothing else it is more entertaining to watch :)

But even aside from that, the politicians here just seem to be quite a lot better at speaking genuinely spontaneously about what they are for or against or planning or believing or whatever. There is a certain amount of reversion to Official Party Platform stuff of course but at least it is extemporaneously phrased and *usually* relevant to the current topic, not just plopped in to avoid addressing a question.

Frankly (remember I am a US citizen) I am really really leery of seeing *either* McCain or Obama in the White House. I think both are very capable of massively screwing things up further, albeit each in his own way. Seeing the first half of the debate last night did not change my feelings about that at ALL :/

Pat

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I watched half of it, got disgusted with both speakers, and went to bed. :|

enjoy the ride

Sufficient Life
Reaction score
I did with periods where I couldn't stand to watch any more- there was almost nothing informative in the speeches. McCain is a crabby old man and Obama plays it cool.
These days (heck most of history) Congress will avoid taking responsibility for anything and will defer to the President if he is willing to accept responsibility.
I think the main questions I have between the two candidates is whether McCain would offend everyone in Congress to such an extent that he couldn't get anything accomplished (not neccessarily a bad idea) and whether he will pay attention to any domestic issues, letting Congress pork barrel us to death or whether Obama is experienced enough to know a venal snow job when it's brought to him. Overall I have been more impressed with Obama's advisors than McCains. But taking advice from people without careful evaluation of the people as well as the advice is tricky.
I plan to vote for the one I feel will be best for our country and hope that is enough.