Pressure canners *UPDATE*

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have two old pressure canners. Does anyone know how to check and make sure that the gauge is reading Pressure correctly? Has anyone had experience with these old pressure canners? The one canner is called a National Pressure Cooker canner (no year on instruction booklet) the other one is a Sears "Maid of Honor" Pressure Cooker canner (it says 1971 in the instruction book). Any help will be appreciated. Thanks :)*

Zenbirder

Frugal Vegetarian Farmer
Reaction score
I was reading in my old canning book, it said the home extension offices did pressure checks on them. I don't know if they still do, but a phone call might be a place to start.

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I placed that call friday concerning our elevation. They were no help. I got the info I needed at the DNR office. But I called them today because you are right they are supposed to do it. Well, they indormed me that there pressure checking equipment broke awhile back so they cannot do the check. I am persistant tho, I am not giving up on my canning venison and chicken. I am going to buy a new gauge. :rolleyes:

heatherv

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Not sure about the guage, but MSU ext unit has info on their site about elevation and times etc. Also, maybe try doing a google search for "how to check a guage on a pressur canner" or something similar to that?

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
MY mother called the Presto Co. to get replacement parts for the pressure cookers (yes, pural). They are unable to send her any parts for the National Canner (old, old). I told her that I would exchange the gauges. The National's gauge would get put on the Sears maid of honor canner and vice versus. Then all we would need is the vent regulator for the maid of honor. Thankfully we had two so we could switch parts. I did make all the phone calls and it just is not feasible to get it check, I will fill it w/water and run it to make sure the gauge at least works.

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I am sure you can still get parts for your National Canner. [I have one I bought about 25 yrs ago and one that belonged to my grandmother.] I still have the original book and will look it up for you if you need any info.
Also, have you tried the county next to yours to see if they still do the checks?

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:) Hoosier, I should check my self online, cuz sometimes people can try to sell my mother stuff and she doesnt need it. RIght after the salesclerk comment "they dont carry them anymore", she said you should buy a new one. Yeah right. Well anyway, the ext office called me at work today and told me they could pressure check my gauge if I wanted to drop it over. Well, I work 15 miles from my home (one way), I am not driving all the way home to get it and drive back in to drop it off and then drive all the way home again ya know? Would have been nice if they had called me yesterday, then I could have brought it in to work with me. The next decent sized town in the next county is an hour away, so you see the dilemma.
So, I am switching out the gauge and buying a steam pressure plug. If I decide to buy the parts for the National, I will post a YOOHOO to you on here. Thanks anyway.

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well I did it.. :) I switched out the pressure gauges yesterday (easy) I put in vent plug that my mother gave me (also easy). I put the new rocker on it, water in it and lit her up. As I watched the pressure climb, 5, 10, 11, I got really worried. The rocker wasnt rocking and there was no way to adjust the pressure except turning down the flame. OK, even with the flame turned all the way down it still registered 15# pressure. I shut it off. Nothing exploded, lol.
We all got into a discussion about the rocker. I knew that it wasnt the right rocker. My dad said it was, my mother said I shouldnt mess with it she will just buy a new one. My husband, well lets just not go there, but at least at the height of the discussion he pulled the correct petcock out of the drawer:D . It is adjustable and it fits. So we fired it up again. When the pressure got to 6# I opened the screw on the petcock and it held steady. My mother vacated the kitchen mumbling about explosions....:rolleyes:
One more step closer to canning meat. Chickens, Venison, Rabbit, Fish and Squirrel. Now, how to cull some of the chickies w/o crying.......

Latest posts