Pressure canners vs. cookers

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Alright, from what I understand, the main difference between the two is size. Supposed to avoid using cookers because their size makes them loose heat faster, which cuts cooking time, because apparantly the cool down is accounted for in cooking time in the larger canners. So, I'm wondering, can you use a cooker and simply cook for longer? Anyone know? Anything else that's different? Are there racks or something that the cookers don't have? I'm a newbie to canning (even regular type canning) so I'm unsure of anything related to canning.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I never used a pressure cooker. Can you regulate the pressure right to the pound, and maintain that for 90 minutes? How accurate are they, and can they be tested for accuracy? Also, how many jars would one hold? It is a lot of babysitting for just a few jars. That's why I got a second one. And even with the one canner, I always try to fill it.

Hopefully someone will weigh in on this. I am a big fan of the proper tool for the job, though. When you pressure can, safety is a huge factor.

Latest posts