Pressure canning dry beans. (Video)

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score

Heres how we do it. And let me tell ya they are gooood!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Interesting to see how someone else cans. We have the exact same pressure canner. My wife would not approve at all of the towel in between the layers :lol:

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Interesting to see how someone else cans. We have the exact same pressure canner. My wife would not approve at all of the towel in between the layers :lol:

Works just fine but you could also buy a rack. We bought an adjustable wieght counter wieght off amazon. Makes it so much easier to maintain 10lbs!

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Works just fine but you could also buy a rack. We bought an adjustable wieght counter wieght off amazon. Makes it so much easier to maintain 10lbs!

Yeah... Our runs at 13 lbs that's the juggler that came with the canner. We have two racks one for the bottom and one for in between the rows. You must have soft water. Ours has a lot of minerals, if we don't add a splash of white vinegar to the water the jars dry white on the outside. When we can at night my wife taught me to turn off the heat when done, go to bed and take them out of the canner in the morning.

"Rings finger tight or the lids will crinkle" that was my problem when I first started... It was quite frustrating. I have to tighten the rings with my left hand (I'm right handed). My wife figured out that I'm "heavy handed" when I tighten them with my right hand.

Awesome video! I learned a lot, since I'm just a canning padawan learner.

Last edited:

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. My repertoire with pressure canning is extremely limited. I still have a lot of canning insecurity! Last session: beef stew... I had a hard time keeping pressure steady and ended up with about 1/2 of the jars siphoning. They still sealed, though. My canner is not deep enough to do double layer.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am going to follow your instructions and can up some beans. I have some recipes that I want to try out, but I figure that I will start simple. We are eating a lot more beans, so it seems like an easy way to save some money and eat healthier!

My goal is to recreate my grandmas Baked Beans and ham - but in a jar instead of a great big pan. The recipe was created by grandma to feed 12 kids and 2 adults.

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
That's what I'd like to do: can some baked beans. It doesn't seem like it should be so difficult. Perhaps pre-cook the beans, then add the seasoning directly to the jars???

I'm wondering if one could can a variety of beans using the "put the dry beans in the jar" method. I'd like to do a few pintos, more kidney, and a few black. I'm assuming they all take the same amount of time??? Perhaps even some garbanzo. In other words, fill the canner with a few pints of pintos, a few pints of kidney, and a few pints of garbanzo or black.

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yes, from what I can tell, they all take the same amount of time.
As soon as I get my kitchen clean, been saying that for over 2 months, I want to begin experimenting with different seasoning blends. Just making a couple of jars fo each to try them out, but if I'm going to pressure can, it better be a full canner!!
Can up some black beans - chili powder and plain. Same with pinto beans - chili powder, chili seasonings and plain. The Northern Navy beans I want to get more creative with - some with ham/onions/brown sugar, some plain, some with just chili powder, and some with bacon/brown sugar.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I want to make my own ranch style beans. I may try that in the future