Pressure canning question - vague terms

curly_kate

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The directions for my pressure canner states to let the steam flow "at a moderate" rate before putting the weight on & starting the canning process. What the heck does that mean? I think I have an idea as I have pressure-canned other stuff, but while I'm sitting here waiting, I thought I'd put it to the experts. :D

We cleaned out the freezer to make room for our beef, and I discovered all this stuff I put in in the summer with the thought I'd can it when it cooled off. I'm canning chicken broth now, and will be making peach-blackberry jam and cantaloupe jam next. :drool

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that means that the steam should be coming out of the petcock at a steady stream before you put the weight on it-so you know that the pressure will build up steady and maintain the proper "weight".
Thank the Goddess for my neighbor as she pressure canned almost everything and she sat there and answered all my silly questions before she moved away! She even sold me all of her cast iron for $20! can you believe that no one wanted it in her family! There was even a huge griddle!

CrimsonRose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
it means to heat it up till steam is flowing good out of the top before putting on your weight... mine basically starts to whistle some... so I go watch TV for a bit till it whistles and tells me it's ready! LOL