price increases again...

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
HOLY you know what.

I hit the store and my usual shopping list and AGAIN some of the items went up.

I watched some of my staple purchase items just skyrocket. First it was up .20, then up .30, then up .10 and again it was up .10

It is ticking me off :lol: :lol:

just ranting a bit. every single shop I see more and more of what I buy increase again and again and again. whew.

the wallet is screaming :p

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I'm watching prices creep up too. It sucks. Pretty soon we won't be able to afford groceries anymore, we'll just have to eat out of the yard and pantry! :lol:

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
What are you seeing go up?

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
moolie said:
What are you seeing go up?
Yeah, I'm curious too.

Also, FarmerChick, when you wrote "I watched some of my staple purchase items just skyrocket. First it was up .20, then up .30, then up .10 and again it was up .10" - did that mean that you'd noticed price hikes ob those staples of 20%, 30%, 10%, etc? (.20, .30, .10 on the dollar?)

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I went to the Dollar Store about a week ago and noticed the peanutbutter went from 3.50 for the large container to 5.00. I freaked and commented,"What happened??? A bunch of peanut farms lost their crops??? I'm getting to see that my $ just doesn't last that long in the groceries. Wiping out the fridge today, rather than cooking. Gotta get frugal.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Yeah I've noticed peanut butter, and especially the Nutella products, also flour, meal, cheese, etc. has went up here. While those are going up, some items are actually going down. Ground beef is down here, as is most beef products lately due to ranchers flooding the slaughterhouses with beef, creating an influx of product. That'll hurt next year when it skyrockets when nobody is selling their cattle for slaughter, and instead building back up their herds and holding onto what they've got. Fresh vegetables are down too, simply because they're in season. This is just the beginning for corn and wheat products prices hiking though. This drought....is gonna make it difficult to buy a lot of products in the next several months. I dare say ya better get a turkey now for Thanksgiving, because when the feed goes up, so will the cost per pound. I'm keeping my nose to the grindstone, minding my own business, speculating what will go up the most, and stocking up on those items ahead of the hikes. It's all you can really do about it. :hu

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Two weeks ago I bought gasoline for $3.39 and yesterday I had to pay $3.99 - - big jump.

I know this may sound like whining but Grandma and I are on fixed income. I'm 70 and DW is 68 both of us are unable to work. We have had many previous years of mega-hospital/doctor bills. I was on a group insurance plan at work until I retired but even then I had to pay the deductibles and then 20% in major medical which in some years added up to $25k. After my stroke the insurance companies won't cover us at all. And Medicare even costs too much now. I use the VA medical services and Grandma has Medicare. I know this is a political statement but I have to say it . . . anything is still 100,000 times better than Obamacare.

We are trying to be as self sufficient as possible but the price increases at the grocery are really hurting us bad. We have cut back on EVERYTHING several times before and now we have to cut again. When will it end? I'm getting pretty tired.

I use our old dilapidated lap-top here at McDonnalds because we had to stop our home internet service a long time ago. We don't have cellphones because it doesn't fit into our budget. Just a few days ago we were discussing weather we will have to sell something to help pay for a propane fill-up in November. But what can we sell?

I know, I know. Waah waah waah.

But Grandma loves her knitting and sewing and I love my goats, chickens, rabbits and gardening. So life is good.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
Yeah I've noticed peanut butter, and especially the Nutella products, also flour, meal, cheese, etc. has went up here. While those are going up, some items are actually going down. Ground beef is down here, as is most beef products lately due to ranchers flooding the slaughterhouses with beef, creating an influx of product. That'll hurt next year when it skyrockets when nobody is selling their cattle for slaughter, and instead building back up their herds and holding onto what they've got. Fresh vegetables are down too, simply because they're in season. This is just the beginning for corn and wheat products prices hiking though. This drought....is gonna make it difficult to buy a lot of products in the next several months. I dare say ya better get a turkey now for Thanksgiving, because when the feed goes up, so will the cost per pound. I'm keeping my nose to the grindstone, minding my own business, speculating what will go up the most, and stocking up on those items ahead of the hikes. It's all you can really do about it. :hu
Right now we have a fair supply of these items, enough to last us for almost a year. Our beef comes from a friend and we will get it in December as well a free pig. Then a double batch of chickens to slaughter along with the free roosters.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Boog :hugs We're in the same boat pal...just sitting here contemplating selling our house. We can't afford it in this economy. :hu I'm tired too. It's absolutely exhausting to even think about next month, so I know EXACTLY how you feel. You and Grandma hang in there as best you can. I'm pulling for ya! I'm thinking we're gonna fold though. We still have a kid to attempt to help put through college in a few short years. I'm not riding it out in this money pit any longer, and I'm not whining either...it's just the facts ;)

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It's getting harder to get decent food. The garden still is a fight, the birds are still sometimes managing to get in and destroy everything they can. It's getting better though, and I'm praying to get something out of it still.

Today, I had to run to the grocery store... 10lbs of potatoes, 1 can of stewed tomatoes, 2 cans of beets, 1g of vinegar (distilled), 1 cantaloupe, 1 bag of romaine (which I WOULD have had if the birds wouldn't keep destroying it), 1 3L of cheap soda and 1 can of pizza sauce... $23. That was sales and the grocery brand of EVERYTHING except the fresh fruit/veggies. Of course, I forgot about buying cheese. That's about half sickening there... $5/lb for cheese. Definitely won't be making pizzas with "extra cheese" anymore, and that's if I can even afford to buy the damned cheese in the first place!