Processing a deer...

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
....I'm woman enough to admit that I hate to process deer meat! :barnie Been doing it since grade school and it never really gained in charm to me. I love having all the fresh meat but it seems like it goes on and on and on, especially if you are doing it yourself.

I don't like the slimey parts and the raw meat under my nails, I don't like little bits that stick to everything without fail.
I don't like the blood when it's slimey and dark, I don't like the bones looking gristly and stark.
I don't like the tendon that clings so tight, I don't like cleaning up the cutting board each night.

Whew! :th

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
me neither, and I never gets no help :rant

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
:lol: :lol: :gig :lol: :gig :lol: :lol:

You are such a comedian, G!!!

No, usually I require they help process each and every deer they kill...but they are working right now and I am not, so it has to be me. Also? They live 45 miles away now, so I can't even steal their time in the evenings.

They don't like to process the meat anymore than do I, unfortunately~they just like to EAT it! Besides, Eli killed,gutted, skinned and quartered it, so I guess it only fair that I process, huh? :p

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
:p Sorry, had to laugh. I just struck a deal with a buddy at work today to trade fresh his venison for some of my meat chickens.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have to admit....I have never done it...so I can't say I know what you are going through. However, I DID help with 4 caribou once....and that wasn't too bad. I actually enjoyed it! If I could get someone to do the "dirty work" killing, skinning and gutting...I would process it, no problem.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I don't like the stuff under the fingernails ad I don't like the smell. It doesn't help that our deer season is at the end of summer, when we still have 90+ temps :rolleyes:

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I think it is NASTY!

no one likes doing it I would think :lol:

but that freezer of meat is just wonderful! :)

I made a deer meatloaf the other day and it was fab and I only have a few packs of burger left. Tis the season to fill the freezer for sure!

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
Hunting is the easy part. The work starts after you pull the trigger. I hate the processing too. Like you said, it seems to go on forever.

Kala

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I actually kind of enjoy it. :hide

And I like the smell...but that's probably because it reminds me of hours and hours spent in childhood in cold garages processing. :)