Putting up corn

yotetrapper

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I bought a dozen ears of corn yesterday, we ate half, and I just froze the other half cut off the cob. Now is the season for getting corn for dirt cheap, and I'm wondering what your all favorites ways are to put it up.

heatherv

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I did the same as you. Just cut it off the cob and put in ziploc bags and freeze. Our chicks pecked away at the cobs as a treat.

A wedding we went to a couple weeks ago, they had tons of uncooked corn leftover in the kitchen, I helped them cut/bag and freeze it, and they gave me 3 grocery bags full to take home. I made corn chowder w/ some, and froze that too.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
We have an annual "corn day" at my house. My parents, siblings, nieces and nephews come to husk, desilk and put up corn. We blanch it 3 min, cool it, then cut off the cob and freeze it. We have long 2 x 4s with nails sticking straight up out of them at 3-inch intervals that we stick the corn cobs on, then we use one of those special corn-cutting tools you see in gardening catalogs. They're round metal toothed things with handles. You just push them down the cob 2-3 times and the whole thing is shucked.

I love cutting it off raw, dumping in a little milk, butter, salt and pepper and baking it. It's so incredibly fresh and crisp.

Corn day coming up soon here!

Nuggetsowner:)

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
We freeze our corn!

Here is the recipe:
Put into a large roaster
16 cups corn cut off the cob
1 pint whipping cream
1 LB butter

Place in the oven 325 for 1 hour stirring about every 15 minutes. Remove from oven. Let cool. Measure choosen amount into freezer bags.
One thing to keep in mind..it must be cool when you bag it and do not reheat it very fast. I let mine thaw and then heat in sauce pan on the stove on low to medium heat.

This is VERY good. The recipe is from my DH 's grandmother. WE make as much as we can every year!!

yotetrapper

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Nugget, so I'm guessing that recipe is more of a frozen cream corn?? Sounds good, might have to try that.

Was reading about dehydrating corn... they say it tastes better than frozen when you cook it up. Anyone try that?

Nuggetsowner:)

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So..... do you freeze your corn without blanching it??
Well, I guess so because you do not blanch it, you bake it!!

Nugget, so I'm guessing that recipe is more of a frozen cream corn??

Yea, kind of anyway. It is more like corn in a cream and butter sauce. If you have ever tried the niblets in sauce from green giant. It is more like that.

yotetrapper

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Oh, no, I dont about the other person, but I blanched mine for about 4 min. Guess I didnt mention that huh lol.

Latest posts