Quail, Quail, Everywhere!

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hatched out some Jumbo Cortunix Quail yesterday and today. Total of 22 chicks from over 40 eggs hatched. Out of those 40, only 25 or so were fertile. The guy I got them from had one rooster to 20 hens. Not suprised many werent fertile.
Just checked on them and found one dead. It was the last one hatched this morning with assistance. It had gotten shrink wrapped because doofus me wasnt paying attention to the humidity level. I had left it in the incubator to dry out while I was at work and put it in with the others when I got home. Seemed to be fine. Not sure why it died but it wasnt under the heat plate when I found it.
So still have 21. Planning on keeping one rooster and maybe 5 or 6 hens for meat and eggs.

20210630_172527.jpg

20210630_172543.jpg

20210630_172548.jpg

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I raised those some 40 years ago. They lay like crazy, mature quickly and are good eating. Once you get a good start, they will do the rest.

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I just put 1/2 inch wire over the existing 1" wire on one of my brooder boxes in the barn to move them out there in a couple days. Figure they cant wiggle or walk thru THAT. But they may prove me wrong.
Last time I hatched them out about a year ago I sold them all. Thought about keeping just a few for the meat and eggs considering things are probably going to get real bad soon. Hedging my bets, so to speak.

Last edited:

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
They are so tiny....smaller than the old English game bantam chicks....
Yeah, super tiny. Dropped 2 of them trying to transfer to the brooder ☹️but luckily they are ok. Eating and running around like crazy. Last night they were all under the heat plate but this morning about 10 of them were piled in the opposite corner. 🤦‍♀️
Ive heard Quail are suicidal after hatching for some reason, like trying to drown themselves, but deliberatley dying from exposure is a new one to me. 🙄

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yep. I think they are just weak. The ones that died were smaller than the rest. Losing some was expected.

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Moved the quailets to the barn brooder. Have 15 total left. Guess I'll see how many are gping to make it to adulthood. :idunnoHave been putting electolytes and nutridrench in thier water. :flIm giving them chick starter especially formulated for game bird chicks. Sad to find one just passed away when it was fine the day before. ☹️

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Moved the quail into a fresh brooder since they've got thier first one messed up. 😊
They are big enough that they cant fit thru the 1 inch square wire on the other brooder. Pretty soon I can move them into a bigger wire hanging cage and as soon as they can be sexed Im seperating out the males and deciding who to keep and who goes to freezer camp.
Some of the chicks are yellow and not brown like the majority of them. Wonder if that tells the sex? I dont think they are sex-linked like some chickens are. We shall see.