Quail

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
24 out of 29 fertile eggs hatched Saturday and Sunday.

P4170531.jpg

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
All the eggs (46) are together. This was on March 31, when I set the 2nd batch of eggs. I decided not to let the first batch of eggs wait for the 2nd batch to get here. Lock down for #1 is Friday, and they are due on Sunday!

P3300491 (1).jpg

Last edited:

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Received Jumbo Wild/Brown Coturnix quail eggs yesterday. Will receive another batch of quail eggs later this week which are Gold Manchurian and Italian Speckled mix. Will start incubating them at the same time!
Quail are great fun!

I have only had Corturnix.. but those are incredible!

Like ADHD popcorn kernels!

They do need food and water very soon after hatch... not like chickens that can hang out in the incubator for a day.

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
With quail, they are enticed by bouncing feed.

Pick up the food dust, and drop it onto a paper towel at their feet. Pick up and repeat. Usually the bouncing feed crumbs will get them to eat.

Also... maybe for the first week, we had to grind the food finer. What was available at the feed store was too large for them.

I never used a heat plate or cave for quail. For quail I have only ever used a heat lamp.

JanetMarie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The chicks are totally better now. One chick in group #2 started having the same symptoms! I removed the eggs and the chick got better. Maybe the ones who were affected ate too much of the eggs and no grain. Decided to limit the eggs to maybe every other, or every three days. But no eggs for now.

Added millet to their feed.

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The chicks are totally better now. One chick in group #2 started having the same symptoms! I removed the eggs and the chick got better. Maybe the ones who were affected ate too much of the eggs and no grain. Decided to limit the eggs to maybe every other, or every three days. But no eggs for now.

Added millet to their feed.
Informative update, and a good one too!

Thanks!

Latest posts