SandBillyGirl

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Hi, so I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the gardening section! 😂

I'm looking at starting canning, and I was pricing 16oz Ball canning jars...which aren't pricey at all, I was just wondering if anybody experienced knows of something even cheaper and still reliable. I don't trust myself to do the research because I don't know enough, but I don't have a steady job right now, so the more jars I can get for less, the better!

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Agree with the previous comments on brands. Stocking up on those currently.

Not sure of the garage sale scene in your area, but sometimes you get lucky with a score. Atlas was an older brand I have a bunch of too.

Amazing how quickly your stash builds up if you practice grabbing a case here or there when you are able

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Check for cracks or chips. Never saw a standard canning jar glass failure in all my canning. The only failures were when my ex MIL used regular glass jars instead of canning jars
i got the idea of cooling m pressure canner off quickly with water once. they all exploded! real bone head move lol

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Really good to know; thanks! Should I be concerned that anything used will blow the bottom off in my pot? Is there a way I can tell if a jar is weakened before I buy it?
Only accept used jars that have raised lettering on them (Ball, Kerr, etc). There are safe jars that don't have this feature, but you wouldn't know for sure buying them used. Always check for imperfections - chips, air bubbles, etc.

Most times the bottom blows out is from thermal shock when filling the jars. Ball and Kerr brands can tolerate 90 degrees of thermal shock. If you follow instructions you'll be fine - pack hot food/liquid into hot jars.

R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ball and Kerr brand jars here only. Same with lids, but venturing out this year with some Golden Harvest lids.
I've used Golden Harvest in the past without any issues.

I have lots of really old Mason jars, some are Atlas, some are labeled with a capital H, some are labeled Jeanette because they were made in Jeanette, PA.

I also have the cheap no name ones from Walmart that are made in China.

As long as they are well taken care of they seemingly last forever.

The only real issue is if you give canned goods to others, you may never see those jars again.