Question on growing lettuce

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have an area that runs the length of our cabin in the front that the roof overhangs about 2 feet. It's already cleared out, and would get some direct sun during the summer, but not much. I'm wondering if lettuce would do good in this area?? I'm in Florida, so I'm thinking the shade would be good since it is so hot during the summer. Advice appreciated before I waste time adding compost to it. Thanks!

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
All I can tell you is that I did not have luck with lettuce in partial sun last year. Very puny growth. Maybe try a small area as a test.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
You aren't going to be able to grow lettuce in Florida thru most of the summer, it will bolt too fast b/c of the heat. (A few varieties do better at resisting this than others, but really lettuce is not a midsummer crop in hot areas). But for the earlier and later seasons, sure.

If it is right along the house, don't try to grow your lettuce (or much of anything else) in the ground, put it in *containers*, windowbox containers work well for lettuce but really anything of sufficient size will do. The ground itself will be WAY too dry there, and you don't wanna be irrigating right along the house foundations if you can avoid it; also soil right along the house is typically *terrible*. Lettuce does real well in self-watering containers, otherwise an auto-watering drip or siphon or wick system is wise as lettuce has a poor sense of humor about being forgotten.

The other advantage of containers (besides giving you good control over soil quality and watering) is that you can move them as necessary, for instance if you discover the area is becoming too hot during the day or if later in the season with slantier sun they're getting too much direct sun. Or if you discover that too much stormwater pouring over the eaves of the roof is flattening the plants.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks. I've never grown lettuce before, so I guess I'll wait until fall and try some. Darn, I'm really trying to think of an edible use for that space - it's all cleared out and just wasted.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm going to be doing what Pat suggested - containers. I have trouble with lettuce bolting and I'm in Ohio :/ Swiss chard does very well with heat and is pretty too - you may want to try that.

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
JRmom said:
Thanks. I've never grown lettuce before, so I guess I'll wait until fall and try some.
How hot is it there now? I should *think* you could get in a quick crop of a heat-tolerant leaf lettuce real quick now, if you plant it right away. Use containers so you can move it as needed.

Pat

JRmom

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
How hot is it there now? I should *think* you could get in a quick crop of a heat-tolerant leaf lettuce real quick now, if you plant it right away. Use containers so you can move it as needed.

Pat
Well, we are already in the mid 80's daily... any suggestions on type of lettuce? I would love to try growing some.

Latest posts