Question regarding incandescent bulbs

Rhettsgreygal

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I haven't heard about it and I don't see it on the internet, but I do know that incandescent bulbs will be phased out by 2012.

My sil thought she heard that they also would not be able to be used in private households.

Anyone know anything about this?

Thanks,

Annette

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
How are they going to know what you are using for lights in your own home? They can't patrol that well...you are also supposed to change your battery in your smoke detector once a year, do they come and check for that?

I think you should be safe :)

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
It has been discussed in several threads on this forum, try a search on compact fluorescents and you'll find threads where the ban on incandescents is covered.

It is not "exactly" a ban on incandescent lightbulbs though. What it is, as I understand it (and many other countries are doing this too), is setting stringent standards for energy efficiency of lightbulbs, that happen to only be MET by cfls and suchlike. My understanding, although I may be wrong about this and have not really spent LOTS of time reading the actual bill, is that if someone introduced a sufficiently more-effficient incandescent bulb then it would be ok under the new law.

To summarize the US federal plan, as per Wikipedia which IMO seems to be correct:
In December 2007<snip>the federal government enacted the Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007, which requires all general-purpose light bulbs that produce 3102600 lumens of light[7] be 30% more energy efficient (similar to current halogen lamps) than current incandescent bulbs by 2012 to 2014. The efficiency standards will start with 100-watt bulbs in January 2012 and end with 40-watt bulbs in January 2014.

Light bulbs outside of this range are exempt from the restrictions (historically, less than 40 Watts or more than 150 Watts). Also exempt are several classes of specialty lights, including appliance lamps, rough service bulbs, 3-way, colored lamps, and plant lights.

By 2020, a second tier of restrictions would become effective, which requires all general-purpose bulbs to produce at least 45 lumens per watt (similar to current CFLs). Exemptions from the Act include reflector flood, 3-way, candelabra, colored, and other specialty bulbs.[28]
OTOH I believe at least one bill has been introduced this year to try to overturn that. And I would expect that once things actually start coming into effect, even *more* such bills will likely be introduced, if their predecessors were not already successful.

IMO it's not a terrible idea in principle, just very very very badly implemented. More efficiency in lighting would be a Good Thing. But personaly I'd like to see it implemented WITHOUT getting into even more use of fluorescents than is already the case.

Pat

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
MorelCabin said:
How are they going to know what you are using for lights in your own home? They can't patrol that well...you are also supposed to change your battery in your smoke detector once a year, do they come and check for that?
No, as far as I know it has nothing to do with what you USE, it is about what is allowed FOR SALE.

The idea being, if they don't allow sale of 'inefficient' bulbs, then use of them will gradually phase out as they blow or break and can't be replaced.

Pat

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yea it will be a phase out
eventually you will see less and less "older" light bulbs on the shelf and you will be swung into the more efficient lighting available

not a bad thing at all

LEDs are finally coming along better also

---you know---like try to buy a 8 track tape now hahaha

Latest posts